Living of £60 a week, What other benefits can i claim??

For information and discussion about benefits
Advice desperately needed. I currently claim carers allowance for looking after my fiance but it's not enough to live on. She claims P.I.P and income related ESA but is terrified that if i go on her claim that she will loose money. We get housing benefit and council tax benefit paid monthly but that doesn't cover the rent. My fiance pays all the bills, tops up the rent, buys the shopping etc out of her benefits but that leaves only my £60 a week to try and run my car so i can get her to appointments. We cant get a CAB appointment for love nor money. has anyone been in this situation or got any experience that might help??? thank you
Yes, contact our Carers UK helpline asap. The phone is usually busy but you can email them. However, it is totally unreasonable for her to block you applying for anything. If you are doing the caring, then you should claim what you are entitled to.
excuse me bowlingbun, but i never said she was "blocking me" from applying for anything. I was merely asking for advice before i do anything. I only said she was terrified as we have seen that some people's money has gone down when it became a joint claim. Why must you assume that my fiance is in the wrong again?
Hello David

I suggest you contact the Carers UK Adviceline, they will be able to advise you based on your individual circumstances.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed on Thursdays and Fridays whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday – Wednesday between 10am and 4pm. . You can email or write to the Adviceline and we will respond to your enquiries within five working days.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
thank you i will try them monday
As this was a new thread, and we have more than one David, I just gave our usual advice to anyone with a query about benefits,that the helpline would give best advice. My comment about getting what you are entitled to is also general. Long term carers need to maintain some control and self worth, not being reliant on someone else, especially when they are not married. There have been many people ending up in a muddle as a result.. I have never been in the position you are in. In any case we had a joint account with equal rights to it. It wasn't his money or my money. It was OUR money. There have been many people who regret that too!
i just dont need the comments about my fiance "blocking me" from getting anything. It was an inquiry about whether the amounts will change. I wanted to know what i could apply for that wont affect what we already get. that's all.
You wrote "advice desperately needed"and had advice in 40 minutes, signposted to one of the very best, if not THE best, in the UK. I was trying to help.
you didnt need to make a judgement on my fiancee. thats what i am upset with
David, am I right in thinking that what your fiancée is worried about is that IF you go ahead and make a claim based on your role as carer for her, that that might result in an 'unintended consequence', ie that even if YOUR claim is successful, it will reduce HER income (ie, what she is entitled to), and therefore that the JOINT income of BOTH of you will result in being LESS than it currently is!

That seems perfectly reasonable to worry about!

I do think getting in touch with the Carers UK team of experts should be able to work out what the implications of YOU making a claim will be in that respect, and then you can see whether yes, you will (both!) (ie, as a couple) be 'quids in' if YOU claim separately, or if it's more 'quids in' for you NOT to claim for yourself. That should give you the information you need not to risk diminishing your joint (ie, as a couple) income.

I know you mentioned your baby is due next year, so have you yet been able to work out what that will do to your joint (couple) finances as a family unit? Hopefully there should be a 'bit more money coming in' when there is a baby to look after and fund etc etc, and getting an idea now of what your finances are likely to be when the baby arrives, could help you budget for next year.

I know I sound like a record player (if you have any idea what they are!!!)(the machines that play vinyls!!!!! :) ), but you are BOTH so very ,very young, and I take my hat off to you for coping as you are with a situation that would be financially challenging, even without the MH issues that your fiancée is dealing with. You are, with every challenge, learning to put an old head on a very young pair of shoulders, and that is ALL credit to you.

You mentioned about running your car to get your fiancée to appointments (medical/psych and ante-natal ones I take it?)(ie, all 'necessary' ones, rather than 'optional' ones).

Have you investigated whether she is entitled to anything under the (I think) 'motability' schemes? This has worked really well form my niece, who claims PIP (MH and physical illnesses combined). Although she does not drive herself (hasn't passed her test), she has been awarded a vehicle for her partner to drive, so he can use it for HER benefit (I think that includes things like going shopping, as well as taking her to appointments)(It may also include things like 'wellbeing outings' - eg, taking her for a drive in the countryside for a walk, or things like that)(Basically, it has become 'their' car, though with restrictions on the use - ie, he can't drive it for any purpose that is not 'for' her in some way, which is understandable - ie, it's HER car strictly speaking).

The 'deal' seems excellent - they get a car, and I think the only costs are petrol and possibly repairs, but not too sure about that. I'm pretty sure they don't pay the tax or the insurance.

Do please check it out if you haven't - the schemes may vary as to where in the country you are, alas, but you never know. Then, if it's possible, you could declare your OWN car 'off road' (SORN) so you don't have to pay tax or insurance on it. I'm not sure if you have to be officially 'car-less' when you apply for the Motability scheme?

Looking ahead, once the baby is born, being mobile is going to be even more important for you. (Even if it's just so you can put the baby in the carrier, and drive around to get it to go to sleep)(believe me, some parents have to resort to this ploy! The baby ONLY sleeps in a moving car!!!!)

All the very best to you both on 'all fronts'. KR, Jenny