Income support and free presceiptions.

For information and discussion about benefits
I remember when I went to get my first prescription after 60 I handed over the money and the assistant said 'No, you're over 60 you don't have to pay' at first I was pleased I was actually getting some benefit from being older, but then I thought she knew by looking at me! :( :( :(
Then she showed me on the form :D

Because I'm WASPI that is the only thing that clicks in at 60, everything else such as bus passes seems linked to pension age
MrsAverage wrote:I remember when I went to get my first prescription after 60 I handed over the money and the assistant said 'No, you're over 60 you don't have to pay' at first I was pleased I was actually getting some benefit from being older, but then I thought she knew by looking at me! :( :( :(
Then she showed me on the form :D

Because I'm WASPI that is the only thing that clicks in at 60, everything else such as bus passes seems linked to pension age
It will be interesting to see if this changes with eye tests - now the pension ages are changing.
Sall the Bibliophile wrote:As an extra to carers allowance I receive Income Support. I am told I do not need an HC2 form as Income Support automatically gives me free prescriptions and to just take my letter along.

The chemist refuses to accept my letter because it was dated 30th dec 2016. I have asked about another with a 2017 date and been told I do not need one as the letter clearly covers 2017. This is true it does cover 2017.

The only problem now is I have contacted boots who only pass me back to my local shop and they still refuse the letter. Obviously there is no midway point and I am wondering where I go from here? I try to collect all scripts for everyone at the same time or the chemist complains I keep genetating a queue as they can never find which one I am after. I always aim to go at quiet times to collect. I feel I am doing my part but they are being spectacularly awkward about it all.

What is my next move?
Usually, it's necessary to get a letter dated within the next year. i.e. starting April each year as most benefits are increase then etc. Income support should/on your request. Just give you another letter with a current date.
When I was in tesco this morning I spoke to the pharmacy. As already said here, he doesn't mind either way if I have the letter or not, I'm the one signing to say I am entitled to a free prescription and therefore I get the letter and the fine should I be claiming falsely. I went back to boots and saw two different ladies and explained what happened. The dispensing lady called over someone called Louise and introduced her as the new store manager and I showed them my letter which she said instantly is in date. She took the name and description of the person who refused it and said the same as tesco, I don't need to show it but will be asked each time for it. In the mean time she has put a note on my records to say it's been seen and is valid. If I'm told the letter is not valid again I'm to ask the name of who serves me and to speak to Louise, if she's not there ask for her to call me and then if I'm not called in 24 hours to call them asking for Louise each time. The dispensing lady was clearly annoyed and exclaimed quite loudly they can't do that when I said what happened. I made sure they also knew how good the other people are who serve in there as usually I have excellent service.

Thank you so so so much I appreciate all your help. I don't like making a fuss or being unreasonable and other than getting a prepayment card I didn't really know what to do. Thank you again.
Glad we could help. I'm sure you will now pass on the information if you find someone else who has the same problem.