Giving up work

For information and discussion about benefits
Does anyone know whether the jobcenter would postpone ADS for 26 weeks if I resign to care for my husband and son?

I am a carer to both - both are on DLA, aswell as my daughter who is not eligible for DLA but does have SEN. My own health has suffered a lot over the past ten years as I have continued to work nearly full time aswell.

I am now considering giving up work to get to give them the best support I can... but I don't know whether the Jobcentre might refuse benefits for the first 26 weeks because of me giving up work voluntarily? My husband still has an open ESA claim (Support group) though he only gets NI credits because of my income... would they just review that claim or start a new one?
Carers UK has a brilliant helpline specially designed to give carers best advice on this sort of thing. Give them a ring, or better still email them, and they will go through everything with you.
Hi Kiwi

sorry but I can't answer your questions ! However I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits. It's been frequently proved that they know more than the DWP staff !
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.