ESA and Carer’s allowance

For information and discussion about benefits
Hi, new to this site. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can claim Carer’s in this situation. My partner receives ESA, and he claims it with both our names on there as our youngest was only 1 when he started claiming. Now my eldest has been awarded middle rate DLA. Am I able to claim Carer’s while my partner gets ESA? I’m not currently earning - I’m studying and have a voluntary job.

Thanks very much
Hi Sophie ... treat this as a holding reply.

Some variables to consider ... studying for one ( Under 21 hours ? ) ... are you due for the UC rollout ... post code finder follows ... it may complicate things :

The Advice Team here on Carers UK will be your first port of call ... details copied across :

Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed Wednesday to Friday whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday and Tuesday between 10am and 4pm. You can email or write to the Adviceline and we aim to respond to your enquiries within seven working days.

Feel free to add anymore should you feel it is relevant.

You can also get hold of useful advice, information and support online.
• Visit our Help and Advice sections of our website (www.carersuk.org), we have loads of information and downloadable factsheets on the topics people ask us about most.
• New to caring? Our Upfront guide will take you straight to the information you need to know. It takes only a few minutes to complete.
• And our volunteer-led Listening Support service will continue to take calls on Monday and Tuesday, 10am to 4pm.

We aim to return to our five-day a week service by 2nd January 2018.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.

Always best to provide as much information as possible to receive the best advice and recommendations.

Other posters will follow ... a friendly bunch , virtually all in the same boat !
Definitely ring our helpline, they know lots about interlinking benefits, much more than the average DWP advisors! (They made me £50 a week better off, so that's a personal recommendation!!)
Thanks. Universal credit is available to some people in our area but we are not on the list, it says it will replace tax credits from 2019 onwards and tax credits won’t be affected before then.
Also, I’m studying via distance learning. It’s a level 3 TA course, I study for about 6 hours a week. Ish.
6 hours a week won't affect CA.