Disregarded for council tax

For information and discussion about benefits
I am trying to get myself disregarded for council tax purposes as I am a carer for my mum who has a severe mental impairment. On this website, it says that you can be disregarded if the person you care for receives attendance allowance at any level. However, the form I have received from Cheshire East states that the person being cared for must be in receipt of the higher rate of attendance allowance. Is anyone able to clarify? Thank you.
I've not seen that requirement before. I thought a diagnosis of dementia was sufficient. Ring our Carers UK helpline to get a definitive answer - it would be helpful if you felt able to share their advice with the forum afterwards? (It won't happen automatically due to confidentiality). However, have you now applied for the higher rate? Be sure to take advice before sending the forms off.
I used to work in CTAX and that didn't sound right to me although I appreciate my knowledge is out of date. I googled your particular councils application form and it says this which doesn't make any sense to me and I suspect the person who wrote the form didn't really understand what they were trying to convey.

"Providing care to a person who is resident in the same dwelling as the care recipient,
providing that care for at least 35 hours a week but is not a spouse/partner of the recipient or
a parent where the recipient is under the age of 18 years and the person being cared for is
entitled to one of the following benefits:
highest rate of the Care Component of Personal Independence Payments
a higher rate Attendance Allowance
increase in Disablement Pension
increase in a Constant Attendance Allowance (?)"

It is the last line that is gibberish in my opinion and I think you need clarification on that phrase "Constant attendance allowance". I don't think this exists and I think they just mean normal attendance allowance IMHO.

This is no doubt why the staff have refused you and needs looking into and challenging.
Henrietta, I've just looked at the .gov website, looking at Council Tax. There is a bit which looks at who has to pay, and who doesn't.
It just talks about "live in carers", nothing about minimum requirements for carees.

Am I right in thinking that the government regulations as on .gov are the MINIMUM standards, that all authorities have to at least meet these requirements, that they can be more generous if they want to be, but can't be less generous?
https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discount ... led-people

It doesn't say anything about the disabled person having to have any rate of benefit here.
Am I right in thinking that the government regulations as on .gov are the MINIMUM standards, that all authorities have to at least meet these requirements, that they can be more generous if they want to be, but can't be less generous?
Not sure BB
I know in my day the rules just said AA and nothing about the higher rate although I know that since then some of the regulations allow local authorities to make more local decisions about some discretiany things. What you are saying makes sense. I checked out the Gov site to but didn't find anything conclusive.
Definitely one for the helpline then.
Thank you everyone for your quick replies. I'll keep going with it and let you know how I get on.
Karen, if you are feeling assertive, ring the authority and ask where that condition is written in the regulations, because you can't find it anywhere?
Hi, it's Karen again. Thank you for all your posts. I phoned the local authority and queried why they were stating that attendance allowance had to be received at the higher rate. After much discussion, the council tax advisor said that he thought they had got it wrong on the form! He said I should apply anyway and he would flag it up to his bosses. The result is that we have just heard that the application has been successful which means we will now save 25% on our council tax bill. I am so glad I decided to be assertive!