Returning to full-time work?

For information and discussion about benefits
I have been offered a full-time job but I have carers allowance - of course, I would loose this. But I am very worried that the job will fall through because my arrangements for caring for my autistic son would fall apart because of his needs and the cost of covering them and the night time draining effect those needs have on me. Would it be very difficult to re-claim the benefit? Given that I had actually managed to work at all for a while.
Hi Lin
Sorry no one has replied yet- I guess it's hard to say. Perhaps the DWP would question how much time you needed to spend caring if you were able to work full time- you may have to justify it and say needs fluctuated.
Do you really want to work full time- what is you rmain reason- financial, to have a life away from care, social ?
Are you working part time already- if not why not work part time and keep the carers allowance- you may well be not much worse off. You could probably claim some of the expenses against earnings, and you can earn up to £116.00 per week anyway and keep the CA.
I would think very hard about full time employment unless you are trying to "get a life" of your own.
Lin_1708 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:42 am
I have been offered a full-time job but I have carers allowance - of course, I would loose this. But I am very worried that the job will fall through because my arrangements for caring for my autistic son would fall apart because of his needs and the cost of covering them and the night time draining effect those needs have on me. Would it be very difficult to re-claim the benefit? Given that I had actually managed to work at all for a while.
There is no problem re claiming the allowance As long as your son is still receiving DLA/PIP and you still meet the criteria.
We never know how things will work unless we take a chance.
You need to weight up the pros and cons. It always frightening changing professions. Looking after you son is a profession. It depends what you want. What will you gain etc. Only you know.
When did you last have a Carers Assessment from Social Services, and your son, a Needs Assessment. Does he have a personal budget to meet his needs?
SS are supposed to support carers who want to work. Are you getting anything at all from them at the moment? How old is he? Some income related benefits can be paid earlier to disabled people.