claiming carers allowance

For information and discussion about benefits
I claim carer's allowance for my wife ,in september I will be claiming my State pension and we have been told the care's Allowance will stop. Will my wife who is below pension age be able to claim it herself.
DUANE_1704 wrote:I claim carer's allowance for my wife ,in september I will be claiming my State pension and we have been told the care's Allowance will stop. Will my wife who is below pension age be able to claim it herself.
Hello Duane

short answer is 'no' - Carers Allowance is only paid to the person doing the caring, but ceases when one starts claiming state pension as it's classified as an overlapping benefit :(

I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits and will be able to advise you on any other benefits that you might be eligible for.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Definitely ring the helpline. I'm also 65+, so no CA, but still caring on average over 35 hours a week, so unfair. In your circumstances, there may be alternative ways of keeping the same income although you are not eligible for CA. It depends partly on what other money you have coming in. Far too complicated for me to begin to explain in detail. The helpline are wonderful, made me £50 a week better off a few years ago!