Caring for 2 elderly parents - what benefits are available?

For information and discussion about benefits
Hi all,
I care full time for both my parents 24/7. I don't work otherwise and I live with them. My dad already receives attendance allowance and I receive carer's allowance for him.

Anyway, I'm in the process of applying for attendance for my mother as her health issues have changed. (Assuming she receives attendance) I know I can't receive a 2nd carers allowance and my brother is a flight away and is only home every 6 weeks or so, so he can't apply for carer's. And I don't think my dad giving 'orders' of 'catch yourself on' counts as 'caring' for my mother!

Are there any other benefits I should look into? (Oh, I'm in N.Ireland)
Can't do the tax-free car as my brother sometimes uses it when he comes home so non-disabled use.

Ta very much.
if either of your parents have dementia, or dementia developing, they will become eligible for a reduction in council tax on the grounds of cognitive impairment.

Have you had the occupational therapist out to see if they need (and qualify for) any physical aids to make their lives easier.

Are you getting in any outside help from professional care workers? Sadly, your parents health will only decline further, so the 'care burden' (horrid word, but you know what I mean) on you is only going to increase with time, so it could be sensible to set up external carers in preparation for when their combined care needs exceeds what you can give them on their own.
jenny lucas wrote:if either of your parents have dementia, or dementia developing, they will become eligible for a reduction in council tax on the grounds of cognitive impairment.
Not too sure about that Jenny as Victoria lives in Northern Ireland and I know the system is slightly different there.

@Victoria
I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.

Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

Or check out the Northern Ireland section of our main website here:
https://www.carersuk.org/northernireland
Ah, didn't realise that about NI!
Many thanks for the replies. I'll call the advice line later. Many thanks for the number.

We don't have council tax here so no reduction. I don't know if there is any particular benefit as regards to dementia here... not that ive heard but then nobody actually tells you anything that might be useful! My dad has vascular dementia.

We have had visits from the OT so have a few items around the house to help. They are pretty good at coming out and checking rollators and chairs etc.

At the moment we don't have carers come in but, yes, it is most likely something that will happen eventually.
No council tax in NI? Wow! I'm moving there tomorrow!!! :)

(But there must be some kind of local taxes, surely, to pay for what our council taxes pay for??)

Just to say that in respect of external help, and your dad with dementia, it can be a good idea to get him used to having 'strangers about' in the house, as, sadly, all too often, the elderly, especially with dementia, don't want anyone else but family looking after them. That is all very nice for them, but can become very 'entrapping' for family!

If you read around on the forum you will see that there are some 'cunning ways' to introduce 'strangers' into the house. You can tell your parents they 'only here to clean' or to 'help me look after you'. You can have them arriving while you are there to begin with, and then when they are there, the next visit you say, 'I'm just going to put the kettle on' or 'I'm just going to whisk a duster round the bathroom' and then 'I'm just going to nip out and post a letter', gradually letting Mum/Dad get used to the 'stranger' and you not being there.
A lot of things are tied into our rates here and then a lot of things/services are just more expensive in relation to income here too!

At the moment my parents wouldn't have an issue with strangers helping them if they had to have the help, for example no issue with nurses helping them when they go into hospital. So not much point in disrupting everyone in the house at times not necessarily suitable for us. When my dad's dementia becomes worse...well, we don't really know how difficult he will become as far as people are concerned. At the moment, he doesn't seem to have any issues with nakedness & others helping him to pee/wash, me included. I've asked if he minds and he says he doesn't.
How old are you all please?
Parents are 85 & 88. I'm 43
I just wanted to establish that your parent are both over retirement age.
Do they both get winter fuel allowance?