Carers credit

For information and discussion about benefits
Hi everyone this is my first post ! Does anyone have experience of claiming Carers Credit please? I took early retirement in 2011 to care for my daughter who has severe anxiety and ED. I found out recently that my NI contributions are 5 years short and I could/should have claimed Carers Credits to top up my NI. I applied retrospectively however DWP will only give me CC from April 2016 going forward which is great but I want to try and appeal which they call a mandatory reconsideration. Has anyone had a similar experience? I would appreciate your help.
Hi Mary,

Hopefully someone will be along that been through this process but in the meantime consider phoning CarersUK advice line, details below.
Carers UK Adviceline

You can talk to us five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

We provide information and advice on:
•benefits and tax credits
•carers employment rights
•carers’ assessments
•the services available for carers
•how to complain effectively and challenge decisions.

Our listening service is there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through.*

Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.
Note: listening service available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

Adviceline or phone 0808 808 7777

*Calls to the Adviceline are free if you are calling from any landline or from the following mobile phone networks:
•T-Mobile
•Vodafone
•Orange
•O2
•Everything Everywhere (EE)
•Virgin Mobile

Calls from other networks may not be free so check with your provider. Charges will also apply for any calls made outside of the UK.