Carers allowance when person caring for admitted to hospital

For information and discussion about benefits
I have been caring for someone for many years and approx 6 weeks ago he suffered a stroke and has been in hospital ever since. I spend 6 hours a day with him 5 days a week in hospital still as he has only 25% movement in one arm. I received an interview with a DWP compliance officer letter. They are calling me tomorrow. It was only then that I realised that maybe I should have told them as it may be deemed as a change in circumstance. Does anyone know how I stand in this situation. The person I care for is in hospital and will be for some time it would seem. Help ! I'm so worried !
Hello Jason,

Yes, unfortunately you should have told the DWP about the change in circumstances !

I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

and have a read of the CArers UK fact sheet on Carers Allowance here:

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance (scroll down to the part "If the person you look after goes into hospital".
NHS hospitals notify DWP when someone has been admitted to hospital

So they will probably have those details, so you will just have to apologise for your failure to notify them and readily agree that they can ask for a refund by you