carers allowance ?

For information and discussion about benefits
hi all, should I claim carers allowance ? would we be financially better off
my husband was self employed for a long time but took ill a few years ago,
for the past few years and currently is receiving ESA £165 per week roughly
he also gets the higher rate of PIP £83 per week but does not get the mobility part
when he made the benefits claims he puts me down on the forms, so I presume the esa rate is benefits for both of us
he has no other income and nor do I, but I care for him full time. I am of the understanding that if I claimed carers allowance, the DWP would just reduce our other benefits so it would be a pointless exercise claiming ?
am I right ? or have I lost valuable finances over the past couple of years that we certainly could of done with.....please please help, and please forgive my naivety with regards to minefield of DWP system
I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

In the meantime have a read through of the Carers UK fact sheet on Carers Allowance.

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance
Hi Julie, definitely ring or email the helpline, they are brilliant. Can I ask how old your husband is, and what is the matter with him?
Have you asked Social Services to give him a Needs Assessment, and you a Carers Assessment?
my husband is 48 and I 47
he suffers with severe anxiety and depression, when he took ill he had to stop his self employed work as his illness over took his life, we wasn't really well off but we had a few quid saved up, but with the small amount of benefits we get we had to dip in to it on a weekly basis just to survive, now our savings have been used and we are finding it difficult to survive on the income we have, hence me starting to research the system and entitlements
just some general advice would be great and if I think we are entitled to more I will apply, but if the general feeling is that I will be no better off, then I don't want to even waste my time chasing something that would do me no good and just cause more headaches and upset.
The helpline will make sure you have all the benefits you are entitled to. They know DWP rules better than the DWP themselves! As a result, they made me £50 a week better off, so I'm always happy to recommend them.