Carer starting uni

For information and discussion about benefits
Hello

I am a carer for my daughter who receives high rate care dla. I am starting university the end of September.

I have been advised I will be in uni between 12-20 hours over the 3 year degree.

I will still be caring for my daughter well over 35 hours a week but as I understand it will not qualify for carers allowance.

Quite annoying as she received high rate due to needing care through the night.

Anyone have an experience or advise on where I stand? Do I just miss out?

Thanks
Helen_1707123456 wrote:Hello

I am a carer for my daughter who receives high rate care dla. I am starting university the end of September.

I have been advised I will be in uni between 12-20 hours over the 3 year degree.

I will still be caring for my daughter well over 35 hours a week but as I understand it will not qualify for carers allowance.

Quite annoying as she received high rate due to needing care through the night.

Anyone have an experience or advise on where I stand? Do I just miss out?

Thanks
Helen it depends on whether the course is listed as part time or full time. I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

in the meantime have a read of the Carers UK Fact Sheet on Carers Allowance (there is a section on studying)

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance
When did your daughter last have a Needs Assessment, and you a Carers Assessment? Your daughter may be entitled to Direct Payments which in certain circumstances might mean she could pay you.
Also ask the university if there are any bursary schemes for people in your position.
25 years ago I studied for an Honours degree in Business Studies, a special course for mature students at Southampton Institute (now Solent University). We only attended college once a week, but with extra reading etc. It was difficult getting there on time, but somehow I managed it. I really enjoyed having something other than my son's problems (learning difficulties) to focus on.
What will you be studying?
We were only awarded dla in February she was diagnosed with epilepsy. Well before this but I didn't no we would be entitled to anything. Never heard of direct payments before either. Oh fab bet you enjoyed it? I'll be studying psychology and counselling. Very nervous but feel I need to do something for me ;) x
Thanks for the help xx
You need to ask Social Services for the Needs Assessment and Carers Assessment. After this is complete, she can either ask you to provide the care, or someone else, depending on her assessed needs.
How old is your daughter?
Be sure to make your request in writing or via email because LA's have been known to "misplace" requests!!
One of the best things about my course was all the different people I met. We had lots of interesting discussions away from lectures. Most of the "girls" had a needlework hobby of some description. And by the end of the course we all had dishwashers!