Carer's allowance and working on a zero hours contract

For information and discussion about benefits
I'm currently claiming carer's allowance and looking to get back into work part time. I have applied for a job on a zero hours contract and I'm wondering how that will affect my carer's allowance.

I know I can earn up to £110 a week (not sure if there is any limit to any hours I can work however?) but what about the weeks where I'm earning above £110? I won't be paid carer's allowance, of course, but will it cause my claim to end?

As an example... if I was earning over £110 for 3 weeks, then below for the following 2 weeks, and then back above £110 for another 5 weeks before going below again for the next 4 weeks... do I have to reapply for carer's allowance during those weeks within the £110 threshold or will my claim continue throughout and I just simply won't get paid for whatever weeks I'm above the threshold?
Hi Alicia ... definately one for the Advice Team , link below ... some guidance also available on another thread , listed below the first :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... bers-24228

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... week-21683

Whether or not Universal Credit has already hit your manor may affect things ... the Advice Team will take that into account as it does affect other " In work " benefits.

Good luck !
Hello Alicia,

Please do contact our Adviceline team they will be able to give you tailor made advice based on your particular circumstances. One thing to note, however, is that the CA limit on earnings was increased to £116 per week from April this year - there is no limit on the numbers of hours worked (but you must still be available to "care" for 35 hours per week.

Also have a read of the Carers UK factsheet on Carers Allowance here
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance

scroll down to where it says "You don’t earn over £116 a week (after deductions)" and you will find information on how the DWP treat variable earnings. There is also a section advising on what deductions you can make to keep within the £116 per week limit (pension plan payments etc).
I contacted the Carer's Allowance Unit and was told if I accept the job I will be treated as an 'irregular earner' and my Carer's Allowance payments will stop but I will be able to send them my wage slips (3 months' worth at a time as I would be getting paid monthly) and that if my earnings are below £502.70 a month I will be paid Carer's Allowance for that month in arrears.

I'm confused about the £502.70 limit though, that works out to more than £116 a week. :-???
£ 502.70 x 12 months.

£ 116.00 x 52 weeks.

40p difference.

Best if only one of the two is used ... by all ?
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:11 am
£ 502.70 x 12 months.

£ 116.00 x 52 weeks.

40p difference.

Best if only one of the two is used ... by all ?
Oh you're right... I based my calculations on £110 being the weekly limit, remembered it is now £116 so changed it and forgot to re-calculate haha :roll:
Don't tell the DWP ... in case that 40p cuts our way !