Carer's Allowance and variable income

For information and discussion about benefits
Hi, I receive Carer's Allowance as I look after my partner. To add to our income and keep active, I have started a part-time gardening business.

I understand the earnings limit is £116 per week, however my income varies especially with work being seasonal.

In Winter I will earn nothing and wonder if I can earn more than £116 in Summer, as long as the 52 week total is below £6032?

Many thanks
Paul
Hello Paul and welcome to the forum :) I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

In the meantime check out the information on the CUK fact sheet on Carers Allowance
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance

You can make various deductions to keep your earnings under the £116 threshold, the main one being payments into a personal pension plan - 50% of any payments can be deducted; there are others like expenses related to your self-employment.
Hi Paul, I used to run a small business. It's absolutely vital that you make sure you claim every single "allowable expense" as laid down by HMRC. Are you, for example, claiming for the heat and light in the room where your "office" is, mileage, tools, protective clothing, work boots etc. etc.
Your income isn't what you take from your customers, but what is left after expenses have been deducted. HMRC used to do a brilliant little booklet about expenses, but I expect if you look at the HMRC website, it will now have the same information online.