Carer and disability benefits

For information and discussion about benefits
Morning just a little advice i need as i dont know if it would be best for us my husband is claiming esa national insurance contributions and i claim carers allowance and he is having to go for assessment and i work 12 hours a week as you can only earn 105 week and no more i am wondering whether it would be better ifi didnt work and my husband claim for us both. My husband also gets pip enhanced on daily living and disability compentents so could anyone help to see if we are doing right thanks :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hello Janet

The best people to answer your question is the Carers UK Adviceline team
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
As the telephone lines are usually very busy it's often better to email them, they should get to you within a couple of days :)
Hi wondering if anyone could help we put in for carers allowance last october but i have just found out that i could of had backdated money for this as i have cared for my husband for quite a while could i put in.for this now or is there time scale thanks
Hello Janet

As far as I am aware Carers Allowance can only be backdated to the date you first made your claim, but to be sure contact our Adviceline team they will have the definitive answer.
Thanx for advice what a dissapointment as i really didnt know i could do this have you a number for the advise team please
Janet_160612 wrote:Thanx for advice what a dissapointment as i really didnt know i could do this have you a number for the advise team please

see my previous post above !
Janet, ring the advice line asap, or email them if the line is busy. Unfortunately so many other advice lines have closed due to financial cuts, that ours is now difficult to get through on the phone, but they are always very good with replying to emails.
I also missed out on thousands of pounds of Carers Allowance too, because I didn't know the rules, it's such a shame. However, from now on the Advice Line will help you maximise your income, I'm sure. They made me £50 a week better off, so this is a personal recommendation!!!
Has your husband had a Needs Assessment from Social Services, and you a Carers Assessment? If not, ring Social Services as soon as possible and ask for them to be completed. Make a note of the date, time, and who you spoke to, as they are supposed to be done within 6 weeks of asking.