DWP Compliance Interview

For information and discussion about benefits
Hi
Looking for some information to stop me from worrying really
I have a DWP Compliance interview tomorrow and have to wait in between 9am and 1pm. I care for my mum who has multiple health problems. I live in her house and don't pay rent. Over Christmas I worked full time at Royal Mail. I still had to care for my mum during this time but had some help from friends and family. I informed the DWP of my start date and carers allowance stopped. Once I finished in January I had put a claim in again for carers allowance which was once again successful. I have recently been having a big clear out as my mum will have to sell her house in the next three years. Because of this I have been selling lots of bits on eBay. Some weeks I don't sell anything. Some weeks I get between £20 and £50 after fees. There was one week I sold a box of comics and after fees and postage I got about £138. But this isn't a business. Just clearing out stuff when I have to downsize. I have a fiance but we don't share any bills and don't even live in the same town. I'm an honest person. I let them know when I was doing a college course and any time I have worked. Are these interviews just routine/ random? Is it anything to worry about? I've printed off the bank statements asked for have my passport as ID
You could do a Google search on DWP Compliance Interview.

Maybe a nosy neighbour has made a malicious false claim about. You

Do not be over stressed about it.
Claire_1707 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:45 am
Hi
Looking for some information to stop me from worrying really
I have a DWP Compliance interview tomorrow and have to wait in between 9am and 1pm. I care for my mum who has multiple health problems. I live in her house and don't pay rent. Over Christmas I worked full time at Royal Mail. I still had to care for my mum during this time but had some help from friends and family. I informed the DWP of my start date and carers allowance stopped. Once I finished in January I had put a claim in again for carers allowance which was once again successful. I have recently been having a big clear out as my mum will have to sell her house in the next three years. Because of this I have been selling lots of bits on eBay. Some weeks I don't sell anything. Some weeks I get between £20 and £50 after fees. There was one week I sold a box of comics and after fees and postage I got about £138. But this isn't a business. Just clearing out stuff when I have to downsize. I have a fiance but we don't share any bills and don't even live in the same town. I'm an honest person. I let them know when I was doing a college course and any time I have worked. Are these interviews just routine/ random? Is it anything to worry about? I've printed off the bank statements asked for have my passport as ID
Claire I've just received one of these letters could you fill me in on what yours was about and it's outcome
The definition of a business is "buying and selling with the intention of making a profit". If you choose to downsize your stuff that is your own affair - there is clearly no buying with the intention of making a profit.
It might help you to know what happened to me when my husband died. I notified HMRC. He left me 30 tons of brand new vintage lorry spares, which I gradually sold over a 10 year period to make money to live on. HMRC told me that this did not amount to a business.
bowlingbun wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:02 am
The definition of a business is "buying and selling with the intention of making a profit". If you choose to downsize your stuff that is your own affair - there is clearly no buying with the intention of making a profit.
It might help you to know what happened to me when my husband died. I notified HMRC. He left me 30 tons of brand new vintage lorry spares, which I gradually sold over a 10 year period to make money to live on. HMRC told me that this did not amount to a business.
I do not have the same circumstances as the original poster, I've not worked since Dec 15. We have recently moved house following 2yrs of harassment from a neighbour but contacted all relevant dept's within a week of moving in.
Emma, try not to worry.
When you look at some of the dreadful stories about fraudulent claims on TV, it's important that DWP check up if someone has given them a "tip off" but if you are honest then they will soon realise.
Could one of your former neighbours be stirring it, do you think?
From what I've found online it would appear that it doesn't necessarily involve a 'tip-off' ! Because the DWP tend to "lose" information they have a need to ensure that their records are kept up-to-date - it may very well be that your recent move has prompted this letter, and that it will be nothing more than a tick box exercise to check that your circumstances haven't changed.
bowlingbun wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:41 am
Emma, try not to worry.
When you look at some of the dreadful stories about fraudulent claims on TV, it's important that DWP check up if someone has given them a "tip off" but if you are honest then they will soon realise.
Could one of your former neighbours be stirring it, do you think?
I think that is highly likely as she tried everything else we were moved for our safety on advice from 5 different agencies due the the persistent nature of her abuse.
susieq wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:45 am
From what I've found online it would appear that it doesn't necessarily involve a 'tip-off' ! Because the DWP tend to "lose" information they have a need to ensure that their records are kept up-to-date - it may very well be that your recent move has prompted this letter, and that it will be nothing more than a tick box exercise to check that your circumstances haven't changed.
Thank you. I do hope so.
My son has severe learning difficulties. When he moved in 2009, all his benefits were temporarily suspended until he'd been reassessed. I'd forgotten all about this until I read the latest post, so clearly moving triggers a review.