Carers Allowance advice (just over threshold)

For information and discussion about benefits
Hello,

I currently receive carer's allowance for my 4 year old daughter who has autism. She currently attends nursery but will cease to go there come the end of term (end of July) and will start school in September.

I have had an unexpected pay increment at work and now earn £110.28 a week which is just over the threshold. As I currently pay childcare this is not an issue but come the end of July it will be.

At the moment I am unable to foresee her attending any clubs because of her additional needs and also will not be using any other childcare when I am at work.

I don't wish to decrease my hours at work to allow for the 28p as they have been very accommodating regarding my situation. Apart from taking out a pension can anyone else offer any advice? Any information on tips would be very much appreciated as I can not afford to lose this valuable funding for the sake of such a small amount.
Hi Nicola

We are an unusual bunch aren't we -not looking forward to pay rises. 28p- how annoying is that. All I can say is that DWP are bound to include every last penny in their calculation. Have a look at the ways this can be offset and see if you meet any of the other thing that can be claimed for. If not all I suggest is the pension route which will admittedly reduce your income but worth it in the end all things considered. I will see if I can find the links for you

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... rant-21063

also read page 3 on this leaflet carefully which summarises deductions
https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... 4?start=20
Sure, pay a pound a week or so into a works or private pension plan, and you can deduct 50% of all payments as an allowable expense and continue to claim Carers Allowance.
I have £20,000 in my pension plan now, it is amazing how fast it grows!
Thank you for your replies and your understanding regarding my predicament.

My NHS pension is 5% so I would be paying in around £20 a month. This isn't a huge sum of money but if there is a scheme whereby I can pay in £1 or 2 a week that would be helpful. Which places are you able to join such a scheme? Is a personal pension completely eligible?
Nicola_15062 wrote:Thank you for your replies and your understanding regarding my predicament.

My NHS pension is 5% so I would be paying in around £20 a month. This isn't a huge sum of money but if there is a scheme whereby I can pay in £1 or 2 a week that would be helpful. Which places are you able to join such a scheme? Is a personal pension completely eligible?
Sure, just join any private pension plan that you fancy, household names, they are fairly similar, and if the investment is small there is little to choose between them
Aha, I just remembered that under the public sector schemes you can also make AVC's - additional voluntary contributions - so please do ask about these. :!: