Well, guys, that was good.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I took the bull by the horns

and I did an interview today, via phone, with Amy at Carersuk, on what it is like being a carer in this country at the moment. Don't know if it will be used anywhere, but it was very good to have the opportunity to speak.

She asked what would I change about being a carer in the UK - and I said CARERS ALLOWANCE for the older carer.

She also asked what had been the most help since I took on my caring role, and I said that ALL YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE ON HERE had been the greatest support.....

thank you one and all, for all you do for me, and for everyone like me.......big bunch of flowers and hugs.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Well, done! You really sound empowered. Sometimes it's good just to get things off your chest :) xx
I would completely agree that it is utterly inequitious that those who are on the state pension can't get Carers Allowance.

I'm assuming this is because of the equally iniquitous way that the OAP is regarded by the state - it's called a BENEFIT.

AS IF WE WERE LUCKY TO GET IT!

Our OAPs are PAID INTO PENSIONS - ie, there is NO difference between receiving a state pension as receiving any other pension we've paid into.

we have PAID IN to our OAP all or working lives in NI - it's NOT A BLOODY BENEFIT!

GRRRRRRRR

And since it's NOT a benefit, it should NOT disqualify us from receiving Carer's Allowance. Iniquitous.