transfer devices for use by single carer?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
my 94 year old mum is returning from hospital shortly. she already has a Cricket 2 transfer device. The care plan says she needs 2 carers to transfer her. Are there alternatives using only one person?

Mum is almost bed bound. Does it take two "carers" to look after her? Mum and I really don't want anymore agency workers invading our space than is necessary. Their visits become all too much of a performance and a disturbance to us and I am not able to transfer mum on my own.

Is there equipment that I can buy to transfer her on my own?
Hi Rosemary
I've had same issues with Dad this week and OT came out and has given us a Standing aid hoist. It does exactly what you want. You put a sort of wide waist band that does up like a seat belt at the front and has straps like a sling from a more traditional hoist. This is easy fo rone person to put on by . The straps are attached to the stand aid which again is managed by one person with a remote control. You position the person in a sitting position and place their feet on a plate. An overhead arm then raises them up from the sling/waistband until they are standing supprted by the hoist. You can then clean bottom, change pad, pull up pants/trousers and reposition them onto a chair, bed or commode. The wheels of the stand aid spread out by remote control to go around chair or under bed.
A bit cumbersome but way better than manual handling someone unabloe to assit very much or to bare weight.
You shouldn't need to buy this - get an OT reassessment and ask about a Stand aid hoist. If I can find an example on line I will add a link so you can see what I'm trying to discribe.
Here's the sort of thing- this one is a bit more elaborate than the one the OT brought for us but it gives you an idea.
https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/movi ... -stand-aid
Thank you Henrietta for the detailed description and website link. I'm meeting the OT at the hospital today to review what's available and try them out on mum. Apparently the local council is wanting to phase out the use of the Cricket transfer device, perhaps because it is best used by two people in that it doesn''t hold the patient securely in and the patient needs to be able to stand upright before the sling seat can be put behind the patient.
Hiya,

Technically most equipment can be used by 1 person. However, care agencies for health and safety reasons put 2 carers in to visits that use moving and handling equipment. Certainly this is the case in West of Scotland - I know because I have worked for care agencies. I have only seen a hoist used by a single paid carer once and it was a one-off which probably shouldn't have happened. I know agencies will never send one person only to hoist my husband (when he needs moved if I'm at work) it is always two. I use the hoist myself at home without anyone else.

It is difficult having carers invading the home. It's something I'm still struggling with after 10 years, so fully appreciate not wanting additional people in your home.

Perhaps speak to care agency and see if they'll consider single worker visits?
I assume your mum is weight bearing and can stand? If so, have a look at the Sara Stedy. My mum in law is in hospital at the moment and unable to walk, so is using one of these on the ward with one staff member. They are supplying one for home use when she is discharged. The wing seats fold out to raise and lower the caree, then fold behind them so they can sit down to be wheeled between rooms or transfer. Only issue we had was her bed is a divan and the base needs about 6" clearance to get under for bed transfer, but it can be raised on blocks to achieve this.

http://www.careshop.co.uk/furniture-equ ... gIqYPD_BwE
Lesleyann, if a hospital bed would make life easier, they should be available free on loan via the OT.
Yes, they have provided a hospital bed for my Mum in law, but they cannot force you to take it if you don't want to as its caree's choice if they have capacity to make decisions, and they did offer to raise hers on blocks if that was her preferred option. She initially wasn't keen as she prefers her double, but eventually agreed the hospital bed was the best solution as OT advised it would have made her bed too high to be safe.
thanks for your replies. I did see the sara stedy on line and on
u tube. I liked how you could use it for standing exercises (withdraw an additional waist band for support). The hospital OT has had a Elan Mobilift delivered for mum. It's much more manageable than the Cricket and is designed to be used by one person. It reminds me of a gas cylinder trolley.

I tried it out on mum in the hospital and it seemed to workers well. It does have several grab heights, like a ladder, so caters for users of differing heights, whereas the Cricket did not and you had to bend a long way forward to grab on. Here's hoping it will make our lives easier.not having to wait for the agency staff to move mum.
Had a google for Elan Mobilift but can't find an image. I tried just mobilift and came up with £9,0000 crane on ebay :shock:
Hi Henrietta, it's very similar to a ReTurn 7500.