The system is rotten and fails the elderly - advice please!

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Henrietta wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:20 pm
Hi Lars

I understand what you are saying, but you have no control over things the way they are. The council have a duty to find you care- yes certainly and they should have a team that support self funders in order to do this. If the Council are mearly passing on their own invoices to you , then not having POA makes little difference because you still have to settle up one way or another.
The Council should be helping you find the care but not playing middle man with the payment. It should still be a private contract with you having control. I certainly wouldn't be happy with that arrangement. There seems to be no accountability.
Yes, absolutely right Henrietta, there is no accountability. We definitely have to look at this as it's not working at the moment.Still, I'm curious, with a direct contract, how can you question payment when you've been overcharged for missing visits, if that's not a silly question?
Lars .... my hubby suggested putting a secret camera in Mums room and I was considering this when things escalated.

I think it's disgraceful that we have to be made to feel like this and consider covert filming.

I felt quite comfortable with Mums carers but she did say that some girls were great and very kind and a few others hurried her too much. I guess that happens with most agencies sadly as no two people are the same.

Care homes shouldn't make us feel that we are complaining because putting our loved ones into a care home is the biggest decision many of us have to make. I am not naturally a complaining type of person but mum is paying a lot of money to be cared for and as her daughter and POA it is my duty to ensure that she gets good care. I am always polite and try and see things fairly but even acting like this Mums care home had me down as a complainer.
Penny wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:17 pm
Lars .... my hubby suggested putting a secret camera in Mums room and I was considering this when things escalated.

I think it's disgraceful that we have to be made to feel like this and consider covert filming.

I felt quite comfortable with Mums carers but she did say that some girls were great and very kind and a few others hurried her too much. I guess that happens with most agencies sadly as no two people are the same.

Care homes shouldn't make us feel that we are complaining because putting our loved ones into a care home is the biggest decision many of us have to make. I am not naturally a complaining type of person but mum is paying a lot of money to be cared for and as her daughter and POA it is my duty to ensure that she gets good care. I am always polite and try and see things fairly but even acting like this Mums care home had me down as a complainer.
It's awful Penny but even that doesn't help as you'll see from my latest post!
Hi Lars
Yes, absolutely right Henrietta, there is no accountability. We definitely have to look at this as it's not working at the moment.Still, I'm curious, with a direct contract, how can you question payment when you've been overcharged for missing visits, if that's not a silly question?
There should be an audit tail of their visits in a journal if you are not present during their visit. Most agencies these days (those that are more reliable) have a booking in system so a card or phone is swiped or logged in and out of on arrival and departure. I wouldn't even consider an agency that didn't operate that way. If they don't turn up, phone the office, as soon as you become aware of it and just simply ask. With a private contract you can ask for weekly or fortnightly or monthly invoices that list all staff and visits . If a visit didn't take place or was cut short, ring the office and make a complaint and ask for it to be removed from the invoice.
One agency I employed (following on from a CHC contract) were so bad at billing me for none visits and taking ages to correct the errors hoping I would go away and pay. I became like a dog with a bone and fortunately due to my comprehensive diary keeping, I could always back things up and challenge. I realise this is not always practical for everyone but if I pay fo rsomething, I expect to get it.
Henrietta wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:42 pm
Hi Lars
There should be an audit tail of their visits in a journal if you are not present during their visit. Most agencies these days (those that are more reliable) have a booking in system so a card or phone is swiped or logged in and out of on arrival and departure. I wouldn't even consider an agency that didn't operate that way. If they don't turn up, phone the office, as soon as you become aware of it and just simply ask. With a private contract you can ask for weekly or fortnightly or monthly invoices that list all staff and visits . If a visit didn't take place or was cut short, ring the office and make a complaint and ask for it to be removed from the invoice.
One agency I employed (following on from a CHC contract) were so bad at billing me for none visits and taking ages to correct the errors hoping I would go away and pay. I became like a dog with a bone and fortunately due to my comprehensive diary keeping, I could always back things up and challenge. I realise this is not always practical for everyone but if I pay fo rsomething, I expect to get it.
Thanks Henrietta! I'll make a mental note of your sage advice there.

All agencies we've used claim to have a logging system, most either don't use it or only use it to log in but not log out. The one good agency we had did send us a full breakdown, such a shame they can't cope with my mum's needs now.