Carers allowance/state pension?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My wife has recently been granted enhanced PIP in replacement of her long term DLA. I have been receiving carers allowance for several years now but as I approach 64 years and 6 months of age I've been informed that I will soon qualify for a state pension. I'd be grateful for any advice on what it would mean to claim my pension and how it would affect the carers allowance. Thanks.
Hi Steve ... a holding reply before the calvary arrives.

From the Government web site.

While there is no upper age limit for claiming Carer's Allowance, you cannot receive the full amount of both Carer's Allowance and your State Pension at the same time.

However it might still be worth claiming, as you can still get an 'underlying entitlement' to Carer's Allowance.
If you get Carer’s Allowance (or are entitled to it but do not get it because of Overlapping Benefit Rules) you will also get a Carer’s Premium/ Additional amount included in your means-tested benefit ( Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income –related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit and Housing Benefit)

In essence , a double " Benefit " ... only one can be paid at the same time.

Needless to add , many postings over the years , on many forums , on this issue.

" As if me pension was a benefit ? " ... straight observation but not in the Government's mind.

Claiming the state pension ? I presume you have the figures and / or checked with the Government site as to likely sum payable / national insurance contributions ?

For your caree , PIP may be affected on reaching her retirement age ... the Universal Credit rollout may also come into play.

Others will be along to add their recommendations on that aspect.
Hi Steve

basically once in receipt of your state pension you won't be able to claim Carers Allowance :( the two are considered to be 'overlapping' benefits (although how the Government can classify State Pension as a 'benefit' is beyond me !). Having said that though, it can still be worthwhile to claim CA even if you don't actually get any money as it can open the door to other underlying benefits.

I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits and will be able to give you tailor made advice based on your individual circumstances.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed Wednesday to Friday whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday and Tuesday between 10am and 4pm. You can email or write to the Adviceline and we aim to respond to your enquiries within seven working days.

You can also get hold of useful advice, information and support online.
• Visit our Help and Advice sections of our website (www.carersuk.org), we have loads of information and downloadable factsheets on the topics people ask us about most.
• New to caring? Our Upfront guide will take you straight to the information you need to know. It takes only a few minutes to complete.
• And our volunteer-led Listening Support service will continue to take calls on Monday and Tuesday, 10am to 4pm.

We aim to return to our five-day a week service by 2nd January 2018.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

I also suggest you have a quick read through of the Carers UK Fact Sheet on CA here:
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance