The battle to get elderly parent to actually do anything

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Albert, I think that whatever age we are, some of us are 'drains' and some are 'radiators' - some see the world half full, some half empty, etc etc.

I'm what I like to think of as 'late middle aged' (ie, rather than 'old' ha ha ha!)(a generation younger than you), but I know that some of my generation have 'given up' so to speak, and just are highly, highly negative about everything. But some, (like me, smirk smirk!) persist in being optimistic (well, mostly!)(though I think the country went badly wrong with Blairism....sigh).#

So I think with Paul's dad the 'lesson' or 'moral' of the story is how NOT to grow old - this is a chap who has a lot going for him - he's got enough money, he's got a devoted son (and another one less devoted but still on the scene) and he's got a supportive DIL and grandchildren, and yet he STILL makes himself utterly miserable.....

It's his CHOICE to be like that, and that's what's so exasperating. Misery, in the end, comes from inside us. The only question. really is WHY some are 'drains' and some 'radiators' why some are 'half-fuller' and some 'half-emptiers' - ie, the same external conditions (ie, what life has 'done' to us) and yet we react quite differently.

I don't know why some folk are optimists and some pessimisits. I'd hate to think it is in the genes (or 'jeans') but I truly don't know what makes some people a complete misery, and some a joy to be with.
Fully intend to spend my last ever £20 on a cocktail lying on a beach in Bali getting a massage ;-)
Gosh, do cocktails really cost that much? I'd wait till you find a two-for-one happy hour!!!!! :)
One has to keep on giving the brain thinking tasks.
Problems to solve. Puzzles. Inventing. Arguing ! Listening to good (!) stimulating music.

If not the dust will surely settle on the 'lettle grey cells,' and bury them.

Of course, my signature is part of it too, but it's too late now to change parentage. :D
Albert_1604 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 pm
One has to keep on giving the brain thinking tasks.
Problems to solve. Puzzles. Inventing. Arguing ! Listening to good (!) stimulating music.

If not the dust will surely settle on the 'lettle grey cells,' and bury them.

Of course, my signature is part of it too, but it's too late now to change parentage. :D
:D :D
And keep their sense of humour, as you so prove Albert
O, and of course, the very best brain stimulus of all is to find out how
to use MS Windows. :D
Especially if just changing to Windows 10.
I wrote a magazine for 20 years using Windows and Publisher, but the new versions seem to make everything so much more complicated than they needed to be. I've been reduced to buying a "How to" book on the subject!!!
W10 is user unfriendly...........made so everyone will buy W13 when it comes out.

13 !! Blimey, that will be a laugh.

In the good ol' days if one wished to add a web site to the desk top one just R clicked and added it.
Now one has to copy the URL of the site. Go to the desk top, left click and select new etc etc.

As I constantly say of all upgrades these days it's, "Improvements for the worst!"

Glad to get rid of that charm bar though.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
jenny lucas wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:42 pm
Gosh, do cocktails really cost that much? I'd wait till you find a two-for-one happy hour!!!!! :)
Theres the massage as well ;-)