NHS FUnded Continuing Care - how bad do you have to be?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Apparently my mum is not eligible for this I was told today. She has Alzheimer's, she has a stoma, arthritis in her spine, she can't stand unsupported, she has had a seizure and is on medication for that, she has a replacement knee, she has mild depression and she is currently in hospital where she's been for 2 weeks following a serious fall and she's 93. She has just about had enough she says today and wishes she could go to sleep and not wake up.

How flipping bad do you have to be?
The rubbish is answer is "it depends"... I think technically you need to score "severe" in several of the criteria. However my Dad has had it awarded because the complexity of his less severe needs add up to make his a "medical need" rather than a "social care" one

He was declined CHC initially. However we appealed and he was granted it. So if you can face it, it is worth going through the appeal. Dad went from not qualifying to having a really expensive care package approved! Suspicious me thinks they perhaps decline in the hope you will go away? But maybe I am just cynical and ground down by it all?
Have a look at the CHC Framework. It's the most unfair postcode lottery I'm afraid. No chance of getting it down here, other places you are 800% more likely to get it!!!
bowlingbun wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:01 pm
Have a look at the CHC Framework. It's the most unfair postcode lottery I'm afraid. No chance of getting it down here, other places you are 800% more likely to get it!!!
Will do Bowlingbun, thanks.
I picked up a leaflet in the hospital today about changes to CHC assessments.

In our area they say these assessments will no longer be carried out in a hospital but in the community once the patient has settled and reached their optimal recovery.

This is because the process often resulted in delays to patients being discharged and the assessment and decision making process is reported by families as being confusing and difficult.

If a patient is deemed by the discharge team to have complex nursing needs, an NHS Funded placement will be arranged for a maximum of 28 days during which time their eligibility to CHC funding will be assessed to determine whether it should continue.
So has mum been deemed to have "complex needs"?
bowlingbun wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:44 pm
So has mum been deemed to have "complex needs"?
Haven't got a clue Bowlingbun. Haven't seen anybody on my hospital visit today. Weekends are always quiet.
Warning - My partner got continuing healthcare funding but as of today is getting no care whatsoever.
nhshater wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:34 pm
Warning - My partner got continuing healthcare funding but as of today is getting no care whatsoever.
How come?