How Many of Us don't know this?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Can't get Carers Allowance, but after a Carer's Assessment, I discovered.....

They don't tell you unless you ask - good policy - saves them money - anyway..

During my Carer's Assessment yesterday, I let slip that the washing machine was on it's last legs and I did not know how we were going to afford a new one.. the lady said.. that all white goods funding can be paid for by them !!! That's a useful tip.

Also, did you know that they will also pay for a CARER'S BREAK - it's not a lot of money maybe £250, but carer's can use this funding to give themselves a break - bring it on!

Another thing, if a Caree gets high level AA, and the Carer works part time, they ought to be able to get Working Tax Credit.

And.... if in doubt, go to your local Citizens Advice for more assistance ( or ask on here, as that is infinitely useful, and you are amongst friends....

there we are for today

:huh:
Can't get any of that in Birmingham 2nd City in the UK under a carers assessment and have to allow social workers to view complete medical files plus it takes 2 assessments and still no proper support if any.Most get none. Carers grants for breaks have been axed this year without time limit either and could only get one every 2 years and that's if there was funding available which one in every 6 years there won't be. Also, there used to be no need for a carers assessment to get one. However, like I say none available this year maybe next year too. I missed out in 2014 so no help with breaks for me since 2012. In 31 years 7 months of caring, I've received 3/4 carers grants like I say the last one 5 yrs ago.
charm_1965 wrote:Can't get any of that in Birmingham 2nd City in the UK under a carers assessment and have to allow social workers to view complete medical files plus it takes 2 assessments and still no proper support if any.Most get none. Carers grants for breaks have been axed this year without time limit either and could only get one every 2 years and that's if there was funding available which one in every 6 years there won't be. Also, there used to be no need for a carers assessment to get one. However, like I say none available this year maybe next year too. I missed out in 2014 so no help with breaks for me since 2012. In 31 years 7 months of caring, I've received 3/4 carers grants like I say the last one 5 yrs ago.
That is utterly appalling, really, I would go to the newspapers - unless you have already tried that..... No chance of moving away elsewhere - gosh, we carers are often well and truly trapped - especially you - my youngster who had cerebral palsy died at 13, so my lifetime caring (very sadly) stopped there - I now care for my partner of 7 years - not the same somehow, as we are not related, nor married. I really feel for you. xx
It very much depends on where you live and your LA. Some do some don't some have stopped altogether.
I've been a carer in Hampshire for 38 years, 10 carees in total but I've never had ANYTHING at all. They did offer an academic course, but I don't need any more qualifications already. Would have liked to do a sewing for fun course.
You don't get carers grants in Scotland and we also do not get CHC funding either as that is only for people who are in a care home or a hospital since the SNP sleekitly changed the rules without consultation...

Eun
None in ireland
Unfortunately Mary it is very hit and miss ! Especially now that budgets are being cut left, right and centre - probably more miss than hit :roll:
Mary- hadn't heard about white goods- that's very good of the authority.
I am lucky where I am to- gym discount (not that I ever used ) cinema tickets, sitting service, beach hut and coach outings (had to cancel the last one at 11th hour as Dad couldn't be left alone :( ) but fabulous support.
It is outrageous, and in my head, insulting, to us the carers, that support is NOT across the board.

For those of you caring for children - how many know about the JOSEPH ROWNTREE TRUST?
I was able to get white goods, and holidays through them in the past.

Maybe it IS all about 'knowing' things, as BB says.

There is a charity in my village run through the local surgery. We are extremely short of cash since my partner became ill, as my business has gone under because of my caring role. Our bathroom in our rented property badly needed an update to make it more practical for my partner ( existing bathroom over 40 years old) Our private landlord would not do it, and we could not afford to do it, so I applied to the charity. They were lovely and it was not means tested. We have had what amounts to an essential upgrade, but they did say they would have paid for a 'wet room' installation if it had been our own house. As it is, with all private tenants, we could be given 2 months notice at any time, and for no reason, so the charity felt they did not want to invest more money than they did, especially as the landlord had not only refused to help, had gone back on a previous offer of help.

BUT the point being, we all have to be pretty good Sherlock Holmes', but sometimes the help is there if we root around and look for it.

Caring can be such a thankless task can't it just??