CARERS ASSESSMENT

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Mmmmm!!
I have taken the few days respite care I have just had, as a chance to be constructive, and try and improve our situation.

I phoned and discovered I was not even registered as Carer for the poor ould fella, despite social worker some months ago, saying I was.

I discovered that I had not even had a Carers Assessment, even though said SW said she was doing the two together.

I discovered I COULD withdraw from caring, legally it is my right.

I decided to lodge a formal complaint into the Hospital discharge procedure that launched the poor ould fella and me down such a distressing route.

I, I , I - about time it was all about ME and that is what this week should achieve, As least , that is the theory. If it does not work, at least I will have the satisfaction of knowing I tried. :angry:

and who knows what might happen.........
Due to get mine soon

x
Good Luck, Rosemary
I half heard a statement about carers, on TV or radio, that we had an "Emotional Bank", you couldn't always keep paying out, sometimes you needed to pay in too. Can anyone tell me where I heard this, who said it?
It certainly seemed to sum up the situation of many of us, in very few words too!
Well done Mary , sounds like a very useful week.

I feel like I'm drowning this evening, a busy weekend working or crashing, Dad is a little more independant today - hurray so I have concentrated on other things. Yesterday carer called me because my microwave was smoking. I ordered another which amazingly arrived this morning less than 24 hours after I ordered it :D but I haven't been able to lift the old one which is a big old lump- so is the new one come to that so no microwave.
This morning the same carer broke my oven door and I haven't been able to fix it, I rang John Lewis who will send someone to look at it on Friday so no top oven or grill either.
My email account got hacked so I changed supplier and am waitng for a new modem before I can set up emails. I also swapped my phone as I was scared someone had got hold of my details and it was the best excuse I could think of for upgrading my cracked old phone that is too small to text on, so I also have no mobile. I am thinking back to my school days when I quite happily lived with no emails, mobile or microwave- life continues and I am NOT getting withdrawal symptoms :lol:
Sorry I seem to have gone off at a tangent- back to the thread- well done for getting organised and having productive me time- for once seeing the wood amongst the trees.
Ah, the wood from the trees :roll: :lol:

That is a funny one as both my sons are tree surgeons and I research family trees !!

What a bad time you have been having, Henrietta. My heart goes out to you.I hope all is sorted soon - we don't need that sort of aggro, do we?

I have white coat syndrome, so for years now I have taken my blood pressure at home and then taken it in to show the doctor. I was feeling stressed last week so took a reading and it was 176 /80 !! I made an appt to see doc this week. Took it today, after I started being proactive ( as I said before) and it was 124/68.

Goes to show that being a proactive Carer is good for your health :unsure: :unsure:

However, I will still keep the appt with the doc, as he needs to check it for himself.
bowlingbun wrote:I half heard a statement about carers, on TV or radio, that we had an "Emotional Bank", you couldn't always keep paying out, sometimes you needed to pay in too. Can anyone tell me where I heard this, who said it?
It is a metaphor the late Stephen Covey (writer) used to describe the way interpersonal relationship's function and the way we all have various strength's/weaknesses when engaging others which can play out like financial exchanges/withdraws as there is much "give/take" involved.

For example, I am an insufferable know it all for my faults, though I do not mean to be I just retain information like a sponge :)