And where does the buck stop?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
This is an interesting blog post from the tireless, knowledgeable and camapigning Mark Neary who fights constantly for his learning disabled adult son, but his comments could apply to anyone with a relative under the 'care' of the system.
Do you agree with his ranking?
Where in the column does ultimate responsibility lie? ( I've often wondered, does it change if the caree is self funding?)

https://markneary1dotcom1.wordpress.com ... d-species/
My LA don't even have a "potted history" of M and his background. Their current files are just emails!
Bb
I did think of you especially when I read it.
In all your dealings have you ever ascertained who is ultimately legally responsible for M? ( or any adult in 'care')
Interesting question. When M was 16 my GP insisted that he went into residential care, boarding school, as I was so ill (14 lots of antibiotics in 12 months + ME/post viral fatigue syndrome. He then went to a residential college and then into residential care. Whilst there I was very ill, had major surgery, and my consultant made it VERY clear that I shouldn't care for anyone EVER again. So to my way of thinking he is SSD's responsibility. As his mum, I see my role as ensuring that he is well looked after. By this I mean he lives in accordance with Dept of Health guidelines - 5 portions of fruit and veg.,regular exercising, etc.

However, there are real problems because SSD now contract out care to agencies, and they again sub contract to other agencies. I have absolutely no doubt (having studied contract law in details as part of my degree) that the real problem lies with the airy fairy contract. The commissioning officer has told me himself that they assume the agency will follow guidelines, but as my son says, assumptions are the mother of all muck ups!
Even when they don't follow the contract they still get paid in full. The head of LD told me, when I was handling DP's that I had no right to withhold payment if the service didn't come up to scratch. Oh yes I did!!!I

M and I were interviewed as part of a study of supported living for those with LD last Friday, it's going to be part of a report ending up with the Secretary of State. I said to her, as she was leaving that M was OK whilst I was around to constantly pick up the pieces, but it wasn't sustainable if I wasn't here. She agreed. So my aim of ensuring M had a good life when I was dead really isn't happening.
If I can't get it to work, with 40 years and more experience in this area, and all my qualifications, who can?
I believe there needs to be a fundamental shift in "social worker" training, as they aren't social workers in the way they used to be, they are resource managers. But managers without any training in finance, human resources, benefits, etc. so they are ill equipped to do their jobs. We don't need excuses, we need them to operate like a business, efficiently and effectively.
I've just received my latest joke of a Carers Assessment, absolutely pathetic. Says I couldn't walk very well. No, I had a head on smash that nearly killed me, and ended up having two total knee replacements!!!!
I know that the Local Government Ombudsman recently decreed that even if a LA contracts out services, the LA is still ultimately responsible.
I've now complained to the LGO about delays in finalising M's assessment, requested in December 2015, 18 months ago. I said it was inaccurate and incomplete. LA in denial for over a year, but now accept changes need to be made. It says M has moderate, not severe, LD for example.

I just wish social workers would realise how hard it is for a parent to say that. I remind them occasionally that my dad, M's granddad, was one of the government's top satellite scientists. I'm sure that the idea that people end up with LD because parents don't care/can't be bothered still simmers gently just beneath the surface - or is it just me?

One of M's friends has a dentist mum, barrister dad.
I think a lot of professionals find me intimidating and don't like it because I am knowledge about autism, S's conditions and of course know S better than anyone else. What I don't know, I seek to find out.

I agree with Mark's analogy and Carees and Carers are often viewed at the bottom of the column.

There must be a positive behaviour manager with a learning disabled son somewhere
The professionals with a personal connection to autism or learning disabilities etc are usually the better ones.
How do they cope with being number three on the importance scale when they’re assessing my son, before plunging to number nineteen when their own son is being assessed by another positive behaviour manager?
They probably make sure the other professional knows that they work in the field and if nessary lock antlers. This used to happen when I had meetings with S's teachers, if they weren't very good!
If you doubt my assertion that it’ll be hard to change this mindset, here’s a little story to end on. I’ve been invited to take part in a research project in January as an “expert by experience”. The project is being led by a pretty progressive organisation. I did a little bit of checking and it looks like I’ll be the only person sitting round the table providing my expertise for free.

The title of the project: “The Importance of Including Families”.
Another example of tokenism. 😖

Melly1