AN INFORMAL SURVEY - will you help?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Thirty years ago, I, and a very small group of other parents, spent FIVE years campaigning for RESPITE CARE for disabled children in Mid Devon. We succeeded in the end........now.....all these years later, I have just been told there is no chance of me finding regular affordable RESPITE CARE for my poor ould fella..................is this REALLY TRUE IN 2017????

The format I am looking at is, for example, one 3 day period per month. I have been told by the local Mental Health Team that this is not achievable because CARE HOMES are so pushed for beds that they simply have not got the capacity for this sort of provision.

SURVEY

1) Tell me the name of the County you are in

2) Tell me if you DO get a satisfactory RESPITE PROVISION similar to that mentioned above

3) Tell me if you DO NOT get a satisfactory Respite Provision, BUT WOULD LIKE IT.

I am only doing this to see what the provision is like across the UK and if it is fit for purpose. I most definitely will not be using your views in any official capacity, unless we all decide we ought to

Thank you for your time and for reading this :)
Hi Mary.

An article from the Guardian ... 22 February 2017 ... this very issue :

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... uncil-care

May be of assistance if producing a report at the end of your endeavours.

Affordable respite care ?

Related issue ... very little upto date information beyond said issue dating back to the birth of carer forums ... 2004.

Needless to say , the costs have always been pitched at levels beyond most users ability to pay.
Mary, just a thought, and I appreciate this would only apply to a limited number of people.

BUT....

What if there were some kind of 'exchange system' for those caring for the elderly with dementia?

It's based on the premise that looking after TWO people with dementia is not a great deal more difficult than looking afte one person.

It could range from 'elderly playdates' where participants 'park' their caree with another carer-and-their-caree for the afternoon/day, whatever, to even maybe 'lodging' them to give themselves a respite break (and then reciprocating).

Mums do this all the time with their children, so maybe, who knows, in some circumstances it could work for the elderly with dementia maybe???
That could be a plan couldn't it? I wonder if Social Services would want an intervention, or whether it is something that could be organised privately? Worth a serious thought though..... Thank you x
Chicken / egg ?

Formulate , have volunteers in place , possible trial for a few weeks ... then approach local SS.

Main condition for them being ... cost , and can we actually save money ... anything else will be secondary.

If " We're on board " , fine.

If not , carry on ... no time lost waiting for the Authorities to catch up ... how many committees involved for a start ?

Nothing worse that losing momentum ... our " Travel " thread a perfect example of what happens when you leave it for others to act
... stagnation for 4 / 5 months ... at least the " Reads " picked up again if little else.

The ticking clock therein earlier this year ... time is money ... a timely reminder ... no pun intended.

21 Hour Rule thread another ... but in that case , the support of the external party may make all the difference.

No one could have predicted the General ( Non ) Election shortly afterwards ... thus paralyzing the House in all but urgent matters ... even as I type.

Momentum ... the key with any campaign.

Like a mortgage / rent payment ... miss one month ... and it takes several months to catch up ... sometimes longer ... if at all ???
Mary, I don't see why SS should be involved! Maybe, yes, if there is a safeguarding issue, but otherwise, providing you and the 'counter-party' trust each other what business is it of anyone else's providing the carees are safe etc. (They may not 'want' to be sent on playdates or sleepovers of course!!!!) (Sadly, I used to say of my MIL - 'If she knew how much hard work she was, she wouldn't be the hard work she is'!......)
Hi Yes- I'm up for that - who wants my Dad ? LOL

Joking aside- No I am not provided with a whole day of respite all in one go per month, but to give a balanced answer, I am receiving sitting service for 2 hours a week which would be 8 hours a month so approxiamately one day. I'm on the South coast.
Sitting service ?

As an aside , from the Carers' Dragons Den Nursery thread / CarerWatch archives ... local carers group with an exchange scheme ... for instance , swopping 2 / 3 hours sitting with one's caree for 2 / 3 worth of gardening ... or , from any male carer's point of view , ironing / sowing ... and , one for the ladies to balance the books , car maintenance ... mutually beneficial to both carers.

No bosses / no committees ... just a loose collective of carers working together in various ways to ease their individual burdens.

Grass roots ... a sense of collective belonging with others in the same manor / predicament.

One for Mary to ponder on ... particularly if involving local carers for the first time in anything as a cooperative / group ... based on two favourite words of mine when used together ... mutual assistance !

Why stop at just one issue ... add a few relative to local conditions so that everyone has something to gain ???
Sitting Service is provided by the Local Council (social services as we are unitary here) . They provide help to the carer (via the carers assessment) and is not means tested on either carer or caree so even though my Dad who I care for is self funding, I personally getting sitting service based on my needs as carer which is not means tested. They provide this via local care agencies but this does not cover any personal care. In theory they just come to "sit" and provide companionship. Usually they are willing to help with some domestic tasks while they are here and have been known to provide the odd bit of personal care depending on who the agency send.
An extremely useful service for which I am very grateful. I wish had made use of it several years earlier but when you have a person in the earlier stages of dementia they manage to refuse things far too easily, plus I hadn't realised anything beyond a pure "sit" was provided, and I knew Dad would not allow anyone just to sit with him for companionship.