Ankylosing Spondylitis

For issues related to specific conditions and disabilities.
Does anyone else care for someone who has severe Ankylosing Spondylitis ? I am a carer for my brother who has this condition and would like to hear from anyone else who does the same.
Mum has osteoporosis and hyperostosis. The latter is apparently sometimes misdiagnosed as AS, so the symptoms are very similar indeed. Is there anything specific you are struggling to deal with at the moment?
Hi Bowlingbun
Thanks for answering my post.
Having to deal with Psoriasis at the moment, which I read somewhere can affect someone with AS. Has your Mum ever suffered with this?
The cream from the doctor does help, but his has dry dead skin especially where the flare up has been. He has been given an Emulsifying ointment, which is like putting my hands in lard, to spread on.
Hi Shirley, fortunately, mum hasn't had psoriasis. It's an interesting question though, she has always had what the family called "Silly Skin" unable to tolerate anything highly perfumed. Her skin was so sensitive that she couldn't even use some baby powder, although it's less of a problem now. I don't know if she's less sensitive or products are now much better regulated.
Hi Shirley, amongst other problems, I have Ankylosing Spondylitis. There are several conditions which are associated with AS most of which I have. Some people get none, some get a few & some all. These related conditions are Psoriasis (Skin) Iritis (Eye inflammation), Inflammatory bowel disease, Crohns disease, Ulcerative Colitis. These are all related to an over active immune system & all related to Ankylosing Spondlyitis. I recently took part in a DNA & symptom severity check for several months with the Royal BathHospital For Rheumatic Diseases because they were interested in people who had more than 3 of the common complaints associated with AS
I know this is a while ago but I make my husband a home scrub and a shampoo with Apple cider vinegar which seems to help x
i am glad i found this post, yes hubby has had this for years, it has gradually got worse and i was told by our Dr that it is a severe form of artheritis too.