Helping a suicidal person to stop drinking

For issues specific to caring for someone with mental ill health.
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm a carer for my twin brother. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of dealing with somebody who self-medicates with alcohol? Me and my twin live together and recently I've had to stop working as his suicide attempts have become more frequent.
He drinks heavily and understands that his drinking is out of control. He decided to abstain after a very frightening and serious suicide attempt on Sunday and he has valium from his psychiatrist to help with cravings.
Tonight he is saying that the valium is not working and that me being here is the only thing stopping him from drinking. I'm worried that he will relapse and try to kill himself again. I don't know how much more I can take.
Hello Peter
Welcome
I had some very unhappy experiences with a friend who became an alcoholic rather than deal with a physical debilitating disease.
It was very very tough on family and friends.
I have heard good things of al-anon as support for families and friends of alcoholics
http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk
and the Smaratians are always there for you, and for your brother. They can be contracted by e-mail if it's difficult for you to talk if he is within hearing
http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-he ... contact-us

Sadly, there is little you can do to cure your brother, most of the effort must come from him and it is a long haul. Best you can do is support him (that is support him to move forward, not enable him to stay the same) and to do that you need to look after yourself, mentally and physically, and put limits in place to protect yourself and your well being as it can be very draining.

My heart goes out to you especially because of the special relationship with a brother and a twin.
My experience was with a decade's old friendship and that was hard enough.

I hope the links prove useful
Kind regards
MrsA
Hi again - I'm wondering whether it would be better to combine your two threads, otherwise you might get overlap/duplciations etc.

If you want this to happen (and usually NEW TO FORUM gets more traffic than this section), then mods can do it for you.

The trouble, I suspect, with ALL MH patients is that they are 'desperate' to 'dump' on to someone (anyone!) and I liken them to weak climbing plants with tendrils that are desperately 'casting about' for 'something stronger' (anything!) to wrap their tendrils around to cling to and support them.... which is fine for them when they find someone, but they have no appreciation (are in no state to appreciate) of what that does to what/who they cling to.

How far back do your bro's problems go?
How old is your brother?
What is he trying to ignore or escape from?
How can he a Afford to buy this drink?
Sadly, Colin raises a very pertinent point.

HOW is he getting hold of alcohol?

If you saw your GP, is there any chance he could now be sectioned, given the latest suicide attempt. Getting him sectioned might be hard, as I 'm sure the NHS would prefer not to section people - because hospitalisation is expensive (not for any other claptrap they might trot out!).

Setioning can be the breakthrough he needs. If you read on the MH section here, you will see that that has been so for quite a few carees. Only hospitalisation can 'break' the vicious cycle, and finally get him off the depression/drink/suicide treadmill.
I agree with Jenny - can you go and talk to his GP and say he is a 'vulnerable adult' and a danger to himself.

Sectioning - a nightmare if he has 'mental capacity' and what you and I seem to think this is is very different to what the medical profession seem to think! Also the MH services are very overstretched so if they did section him, what would they then do? Would they release him after 24 or 48 hours?

My only other suggestion is to maybe call the police if he is threatening to harm himself and see what they can do. I agree re the Samaritans. How old is your brother? I do feel that if he is drinking a huge amount, then he cannot and indeed must not suddenly stop as this can be dangerous. Is it worth calling 111 and seeing if you can talk to someone with Mental Health experience although his own GP would be a better bet as he has the background.
try to look for a girl for him to date. :)