Phones for People With Learning Difficulties

For issues specific to caring for someone with learning disabilities
Hello all,

I'm working with my son at the moment on being able to cope with emergency situations. We're practising situations that would involve having to ring for help, whether it's a 999 call or him calling the person he is out with if he gets separated from them, for example.

I've been having a look at very simple phones, one that he can take out with him and one to have at home. This is the mobile:

http://www.ownfone.com/learning-difficulties

There's a similar one for landlines; I'd be looking at the option for both where you can have photographs of the people you are phoning rather than names as I think he'll find that easier.

I just wondered if anyone else has used anything like this and if you found it helpful? We have tried walkie talkies in the past but that was hopeless because he couldn't remember to press the button to speak and then got bored and wasn't interested in it anyway. He's not in situations where it's very likely that anything would happen but of course there's always a chance and I'd feel happier if I knew he could call 999 or ring someone I trust if there's a problem at any time.

If anyone has used one like this I'd be interested in knowing how you got on with it :)
The link was "temporarily unavailable" so I couldn't see the phone.
Can your son recognise names at all? Although M can't read, he can recognise "Mum" and his brother's name, and his staff "on Call" number. These are pre programmed into the phone, and he has managed well with it. He has a basic Nokia phone, not a modern screen type. As he lives alone with staff support, he's supposed to have it with him at all times. However, he doesn't always answer it!!!
bowlingbun wrote:The link was "temporarily unavailable" so I couldn't see the phone.
Can your son recognise names at all? Although M can't read, he can recognise "Mum" and his brother's name, and his staff "on Call" number. These are pre programmed into the phone, and he has managed well with it. He has a basic Nokia phone, not a modern screen type. As he lives alone with staff support, he's supposed to have it with him at all times. However, he doesn't always answer it!!!
He can recognise names but not necessarily relate them to a person, if that makes sense? Which is why I thought pictures would work better for him. Plus if it is an emergency and he's panicking I think pictures would be easier than reading. I'm not sure what's happened to the link, I'll see if I can find it somewhere else :)