Long Summer holidays

For issues specific to caring for someone with learning disabilities
Hi ...just wondered if anyone else out there dreads the long looming school / college holidays ?
Feeling isolated and stuck indoors .
We are fortunate to have a respite carer to help out for a few hours per week . Our local boroughs services are brilliant for children but they are woefully lacking past the age of 18 .
The few activities that are run need a parent or carer to accompany the disabled person which kind of defeats the object !!
What services do you have in your area ?
Dear Julie - I'm with you. Luckily my son has a carer with him during weekdays in the holidays, but it's still a 2-person job to get anywhere as I can't drive with him in the car without someone sitting in the back with him. He has a tracheostomy, so needs someone trachy-competent with him 24/7. So like you, any trip out involves me too. Even if I dropped my son and the carer at the adventure playground (for special needs children), I'd feel bad as we have to carry equipment with us as well, and then the carer wouldn't be able to go to the toilet as they can't leave him unattended.

I know that lots of mainstream schools do after-school clubs and holiday clubs, but for some reason that doesn't appear to be the case for special needs schools, where arguably the need is greater.

All the best.

Emma
Hi Emma
That sounds like hard work too !
My daughter is just 21 . She has Downs Syndrome. Next year college ends and we have just one day centre in the borough which is under threat of closure and has been for many years .
We will be off to pastures new in Sussex .
Us carers save the government an absolute fortune ,it's such a shame they don't improve services for our youngsters !
Rant over !
Don't be too hasty to dismiss schemes which include parents! I started and ran one of these for a few years, 14 days 10-4, drop in, at the local youth centre. Each mum would try to arrange one activity. We had guitar music and singing, pizza making, football, all sorts of craft activities, a magician, a wonderful array of entertainers. Many gave their time free, but we had a small budget from grant money. At the beginning, we all knew a few other mums, by the end of the fortnight we had a whole new circle of friends, and so did our children. Social isolation hugely diminished for parent and child, and that long summer holiday was shortened considerably. Many of those mums are still friends over 20 years later, and the children have very happy memories of the playschemes, trips to Swanage Railway, the Isle of Wight etc. It might not be full respite, which is the responsibility of Social Services to arrange (really important to include respite in both Needs Assessments and Carer Assessment updates) but it was really good FUN!
the enormous benefit was that mum's had a chance to meet with each other. In a rural area, special schools were often 15 or 20 miles away, so no opportunity for the morning and afternoon natters with the other mums.
Hi bowlingbun
That sounds really good and you were fortunate to have a lot of like minded people in your area .
Yes I could sit alongside my daughter at an art activity but I'm sure she would far rather be with young people and helpers of her own age than sat next to Mum 24/7 !
Plus I could have a chance to do a quick shop ,meet friends or have a coffee to recharge my batteries !!
At my play scheme, parents had to be on site, but were NOT with their children all the time. We had a separate coffee area, where mum's could have a chat. We also arranged for a DWP visiting officer to visit one morning. Many mums discovered they were not claiming everything they were entitled to. Other members of the family could also come, so brother and sisters could see how others managed when they had a special needs sibling. They could join in with family members, or do their own thing.
That sounds great bowlingbun . Much needed in this area for our young adults .