Discharge from hospital

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
I've had many battles with hospitals during my care of mum. The consultant even asked mum to lie about what she could do so it freed up his bed and she could go to the rehab hospital!
Tell your friend NOT to visit every day, because the more visits the more they think they can bully you as you clearly care. Suggest your friend contacts the hospital PALS department (patient liason).
Slightly out of the box for this topic but....

My 'other half' with vascular and alcohol related dementia, a fairly recent stoma, and now cellulitis - was discharged from hospital last night - got home about 7.15. I had gone in on the bus ( 1 hour journey after standing in the pouring rain waiting for bus - but able to get lift home from hospital).

Got home, and he wanted to go to the pub for supper ( interpret that as 'for a drink') I refused as I was waiting for a Tesco delivery. I told him he should not be drinking because of the antibiotics he was on, but he went anyway - I was furious. We never fall out, but we did this time, or I did. He said he was angry because I had forgotten to get his lottery tickets...err... was I not preoccupied with other things???

I went to bed in a huff -

HAD TO HAVE A RANT - rant now over......... :angry:
Mary,
Of course it would be another reason he was angry once he had consumed his drink! By going with him you would have been seen to give him your approval of drinking.
You obviously can't stop him, but you don't have to approve.
Don't blame you for being in a huff. You didn't have to meet him at the hospital. Was it a proper discharge, or just a ' you can go home now?
Mary, total "self focus". How long was he in hospital for with cellulitis? That's potentially really serious, but I suppose he can't take that on board either.
bowlingbun wrote:Mary, total "self focus". How long was he in hospital for with cellulitis? That's potentially really serious, but I suppose he can't take that on board either.
He was in hospital from Thursday last week, until last night. They pumped him full of antibiotics intravenously, and now he is on oral antibiotics. - no, he cannot take that on board - you are quite right. I realise it could be serious, but I do not know a lot about it - drawing lines around it seems to be the way of monitoring it...........

Social Services have been twice in the last week to see me, and it is obvious that they see my reluctance to be a 'carer' again, as the problem. They will only pay the current Direct Payments and suggest that we find a cheaper way of spending it - DevonCarers are much better, they are sorting a grant of £200 so I can go away, and with a complex bit of logistics, himself could end up at his daughter's for a week.

oh well, on we jolly well go! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: