A sense of loss - Dementia

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
One of the most common questions I was asked during my dad’s dementia was, “Does he still know who you are?” In my mind, and taking into account everything that represented expression and communication from my dad, I always felt confident in replying “Yes!” For many families, however, the answer is less clear-cut, and that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the emotional impact of dementia.
read in full here

http://d4dementia.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0 ... -loss.html
My lovely mum in law got dementia, ended up in a secure unit. She was horribly confused at the end. My father in law was terribly upset when she found she had taken her wedding ring off as she couldn't remember being married any more - and they'd celebrated their diamond wedding. So sad.
A thoughtful and knowledgable blog indeed.

REading between the lines it also points out subtly that the symptoms of dementia are not only about memory loss and confusion. I am reluctant to point out more about the true nature of dementia in the final stages.
But .... Is there any chance that this link could be made a sticky? I am certain it will be of value to those caring full time for dementia victims and those who now share the load?
A thoughtful and knowledgable blog indeed.

REading between the lines it also points out subtly that the symptoms of dementia are not only about memory loss and confusion. I am reluctant to point out more about the true nature of dementia in the final stages.

But .... Is there any chance that this link could be made a sticky? I am certain it will be of value to those caring full time for dementia victims and those who now share the load?
Done

x
Dancedintherain,
More and more and more I feel I'm running away from mum; it's weird!
But I'm not. I don't think so???!!!
If I am, will you tell me? This caring stuff, full time anyway, is new to me. I need some old hands to guide me - please don't take that the wrong way - I need some help!
I'm not so helpless... I got your name right, eventually.
I have read this blog and it made me cry.
Hubby does not have dementia, but has memory problems and the sense of loss is similar.
Unfortunately, it isnt immediately obvious how to navigate the site. To get the blogs from oldest first you have to go to the box on the right, click on 2012, then on May and then on the bottom blog. Work your way up from there.
Dancedintherain,
More and more and more I feel I'm running away from mum; it's weird!
But I'm not. I don't think so???!!!
If I am, will you tell me? This caring stuff, full time anyway, is new to me. I need some old hands to guide me - please don't take that the wrong way - I need some help!
I'm not so helpless... I got your name right, eventually.

Ooooerrrr Sajehar, bless and Cotton Socks (!).

I do not believe that you need any help, certainly not from me. All you have to do is to continue with that enquiring analitical and imaginative mind of yours and make your own mind up about identifying good and bad advice. And of course for formal information always always check out the main website - it contains most of the practical information or links which you will ever need.

Image Image
Hi Dancedintherain
Thanks for encouraging words; much appreciate it.
As a thank you, the following is especially for you. Had ace emoticon lined up for you – a smilie swinging round a lamppost aka Jean Kelly in Singin’ the Rain – but the sites been taken down… bummer!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Do you think I’m becoming a wee bit obsessed with emoticons? Maybe I should walk away from them?
Nah! I’m having too much fun with ‘em!
ImageImageImage
Mum and dad dancing now
Mum and dad dancing when they first met in 1950's

I've just rejigged emoticons and previewed them. For some reason that last one is making me cry. Must scat now before I make a total tit of myself in cyber space.
I just love your dancers, keep up the good work.
Had ace emoticon lined up for you – a smilie swinging round a lamppost aka Jean Kelly in Singin’ the Rain – but the sites been taken down… bummer!