DIRECT PAYMENT ASSESSMENT

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
I would be grateful for any advice as to what I need to alert my local council too for a direct payment hours increase in assessment. If anyone has gone through a similar process I would be very interested to know if your request for extra hours was successful and what sort of information you put to the council. My son is 14 and we get a couple of hours a week at the moment. Any help appreciated.
Hi Deborah,
Every case is different. Perhaps you could tell us more about your son's needs, how you spend the DP now and how you would use extra hours if you were successful?
Melly1
Yes of course. N is 14 and has autism. He attends a severe learning difficulty school. At present we use the hours for his carers to take him out swimming, soft play, park, etc. and it gives other son (16) time to study for GCSE. N has very challenging behaviours and I wanted a couple of extra hours a week so to give older one some extra time in the house without all the shouting and general behaviours, door banging, screaming etc. council have said they need to know how an extra two hours a week will help us as we should be able to stop N from annoying his brother. Not easy!! I want to present a scenario to them that we NEED this extra time. Atmosphere at home tense to say the least. I would like some advice as to what I should be presenting to them in order to fully show whey we should be awarded another two hours a week. N can get physical at times and husband has heart problems. All advice gratefully received.
Deborah_1704 wrote:Yes of course. N is 14 and has autism. He attends a severe learning difficulty school. At present we use the hours for his carers to take him out swimming, soft play, park, etc. and it gives other son (16) time to study for GCSE. N has very challenging behaviours and I wanted a couple of extra hours a week so to give older one some extra time in the house without all the shouting and general behaviours, door banging, screaming etc. council have said they need to know how an extra two hours a week will help us as we should be able to stop N from annoying his brother. Not easy!! I want to present a scenario to them that we NEED this extra time. Atmosphere at home tense to say the least. I would like some advice as to what I should be presenting to them in order to fully show whey we should be awarded another two hours a week. N can get physical at times and husband has heart problems. All advice gratefully received.
Hi Deborah

I have no experience of Autism (my caring was the other end of the spectrum with an elderly parent) so what I'm suggesting may not be at all feasible. Is it possible for the assessment to be done at home ? At a time when N is at home and likely to be disruptive so that the assessor could see for themselves ? Alternatively do you have a phone (or tablet) that takes videos so that you could video him on one of 'bad' days ? And then present the video as evidence ?

Other than that what about written statements from his current care team/GP to confirm his difficult behaviour ? '