Aspergers and schizophrenia

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
Hi I usually posy in the mental health forum as my son is schizophrenic but he also has aspergers and I'm looking for some advice. My son is becoming increasingly stressed and screaming at me until I give an answer he is looking for which leaves me shaking and I actually had a severe asthma attack because of it on Christmas day. I assumed it was his mental illness but his care coordinator has said it's his aspergers which has evolved causing these meltdowns. I don't know what to think as his aspergers symptoms had improved until now. I also would appreciate any advice as to how I deal with it as it's making me ill and it's very different dealing with an adult having a meltdown it was easier when he was a child
Hi Debra,
I'm not going to be of any help to you -no knowledge or experience I'm afraid. However having endured my 10 yr old grandson wanting a treat his Mum had already said 'no' to and going on and on about it, trying different tactics and throwing a tantrum (he should be past that) I imagined what it would be like for you with a grown son doing the same, only worse. Oooh not good.
Are there any strategies' in place such as a quiet room or earphones and music or time out that he is used to responding to? So sorry if I'm talking nonsense. As I said - no knowledge.
Just wanted to let you know that someone, even a useless someone, is listening and sending you a ((hug)).
KR
E.
Debra, I echo Elaine - huge sympathy, but no real advice alas. (Only experience of schizophrenia was that my MH mum probably had paranoid schizophrenia, but never formally diagnosed, and husband was probably mildly Asbergers....)

However, in this grim new development, I guess one approach is to try and see if characteristic 'triggers' emerge, so that you can foresee meltdowns heading his way, and find ways of heading them off. Also, to work out what seems to finally get them to die away.

You say he is looking for a particular answer - is that a factual one, or a way of speaking, or what, and does it differ 'per meltdown'?

Finally, I know it's an obvious comment to make, so apologies, but presumably it's essential that his psychiatriast/neurologist be someone skilled in this particular combination - you don't want to get passed from pillar to post on this, but to have someone overseeing him who understands what the combined impact has on him.

One possible 'ray of light' might be that IF this is an unusual combination for someone to have, it may therefore mean that it attracts a higher proportion of research interest, and you may find, therefore, that 'somewhere in the UK' there is an expert who is 'the main person' who both knows their stuff best, and also has a keen interest in 'case studies'.....?????

Wishing you all the best possible in a frightening and distressing situation - kindest regards, Jenny
Thank you both for your replies and kind thoughts. I know two triggers are lack of sleep and drinking alcohol the night before. He is fine when he is still feeling the effects of alcohol but it's the next day that's the problem. Either one of these can be a trigger but both together seems to be a lethal combination. His mental health team are fully aware but it's difficult as he wants to see his friends but unfortunately they like to go out drinking and seem to stay up all night. He gets very down if he doesn't see his friends and it's difficult to know what to do for the best
Hi Debra,
Since mixing with his friends is important for his wellbeing, but getting drunk and having no sleep is not, a compromise needs to be reached. You may or may not be the best person to discuss this with him. You may be able to discuss this with him when he is in the right frame of mind, or might be that another family member/ friend / professional needs to have the conversation with him.

He needs to agree that while living under your roof, he is welcome to meet up with his friends but must ration how much alcohol he drinks and to drink water or other soft drinks interspersed between the alcoholic drinks. He also needs to agree to either come home earlier or to sleep over at a friends house so that he is not sleep deprived at home with you.

Melly1