<t>BB - as ever, it really is a question (like it or not!) of the 'deserving' vs the 'undeserving'.<br/> <br/> I get so angry that those who are clearly 'undeserving' - never worked, never intend to, think that having a baby (or ten of them!) means they get fed and housed for free for the rest of th...
<t>Glad you thought fifty quid pricey too, Dancedintherain (great name)!<br/> <br/> I have to say that I get restless hands myself while I am watching telly. It's fine if it's something utterly riveting, like a murder mystery or whatever, but anything less absorbing and I wish I could do some embroi...
<t>In my thread on why sheltered accommodation always seems to be in 'dead' places, Bowling Bun mentioned she converted her garage. If anyone else has as well, I'd be really grateful for your advice!<br/> <br/> Thank you!<br/> ****<br/> <br/> BB - I'm really interested you converted your garage! Lik...
Eun, I suspect that your experience points to my original suspicion, that the old and disabled are 'hidden away', if not in 'institutions' then in the next best place, tucked well away from where 'everyone else' has to see them............... Image

Jenny
<t>I'm afraid I strongly echo Bowling Bun urging you to caution, caution, caution before moving in with your (mother?).<br/> <br/> It really is, as another post warned, a lobster pot.<br/> <br/> If it is your father who has just died, then, sadly, neither you nor his widow (is this your mother, it w...
<t>Hi, just wanted to give you a quick reply, and a welcome, though I'm no expert in the problem you are coping with. That said, it does sound a pretty 'soluble' problem in that there must surely be both financial and practical help 'out there' to find some sort of suitable mobility aids for your pa...
<t>Cathy, a friend of mine with a dad who has (moderate) dementia has told me that they can develop coping strategies to disguise (and possibly deny!) their failing state of mind. For example, her dad, who has memory problems now, when asked about something that happened to him years ago, will smile...
<t>If there are National Trust properties near you they nearly always are looking for volunteers to do a range of supporting activities, and the NT website I think gives a helkpful list. most volunteers are retired people looking to do something both enjoyable and useful, and in (very!) nice surroun...
<t>I agree, it does seem to set in very swiftly. But, also, yes, that with hindsight you can start to see that earlier behaviour was heading in that direction.<br/> <br/> The thing is, that sometimes elderly people get an inkling that they are heading that way, and develop coping strategies to compe...
Maureen, sounds like you've definitely got the best of both worlds. Well done! Image Jenny