I do think you are facing an exceptionally difficult situation, both because of your mother's youth (55 - and to be SO ill then, horrible horrible horrible) and your father's attitudes. Do you think, speaking 'bluntly', that your mother would be happier/better off in some kind of residential care? I...
Because of the situation with the brain tumour, I'm wondering whether your local hospice organisation would provide anything like a sitting service for your husband? Or perhaps Marie Curie? I know it's a dreadful thing to think of (is there any word more likely to instill instant terror into us than...
Pet, I think it IS a blessing - one of the very few 'mercies' that dementia accords (like 'not missing us' because time has ceased to have any meaning for them.) Does the home phone you when there is any 'recordable incident', or do they wait to tell you when you arrive - or to find out for yourself...
PS - not sure where patients currently stand legally on accessing their own medical notes, but if it's possible, why not keep your OWN copies, and take them with you whenever you go to any hospital - so often WE know what's going on better than they do, as it's all too common for the differing IT sy...
That sounds like a pretty bumpy ride! Very worrying for you both.... Do you think the medics have now got to the bottom of it all, or is there still more to investigate? It's good, though, that they have sorted 'hospital at home' - it can make all the difference. After all, there is that old saying ...
Good, if depressing, article on the BBC news site. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41581060 Someone recorded their own (re-)assessement, and found his recording did not tally with what the official record set out (which, amazingly - not! - resulted in him being down-graded.....) Although secret rec...
'Single Parent Charities'.....?

Wow, I never knew there were so many widows and widowers in this country.

They, after all, are the only single parents. All other children (other than orphans) have TWO parents.

Somewhere.
I can't remember who it was, but I do remember a quote from an India humanitarian, who said:

'If I give money to the poor, I am regarded as a saint. If I ask WHY they are poor, I'm regarded as a communist'.

This seems very true.
Hmm, I don't think, off the top of my head, that existing charities should be political lobbyists - political lobbying should be done by clearly stated Political Lobbyist organisations - whether they are entitled to be 'charities' or not. But there should be a clear distinction between giving money ...
I agree. It's vital to distinguish between 'supporting' someone and 'enabling' them. Support requires, all too often, 'firm love' ('tough love' can maybe be too tough??), whereas 'enabling' keeps someone in the state they are in - it does them no favours. The hard bit is staying firm (as you have do...