Is your mum's sickness now likely to be temporary? ie, will she get better? Or is this now a permanent state of affairs, or even if she does improve, it wont' be back to what she was before? The grim thing about looking after the elderly is that increasingly 'things go wrong' (until, finally, of cou...
It's a tricky issue, in general, whether those employed to help folk with a particular 'ailment' provide better help and understanding if they themselves have suffered that same ailment! In a way, in principle, I think it can be - for example, an oncologist who has lost someone to cancer themselves ...
It's the same with nurses, isn't it? This obsession with making all nurses 'graduates'. That is NOT only what is needed!!!
Don't apologise! no need at all. I'm only another forum member anyway. :) I just thought it would be a bit 'friendlier' to hear from another forum member, rather than the 'official mods' etc (who would be very polite, but it's always nicer to hear 'unofficially' than 'officially' I think!) I also th...
Joanne, hi - that does sound grim. If you post on the Newbie section that's a more 'general' area with a lot more traffic, and also of course do get involved in the Members sections (Roll Call is the site's 'chat' area mostly). With such rare diseases, it can be that seeking out online support or ot...
Val, if you look them up on the forum and contact them via the forum's Personal Messaging facility, you might well find them willing to partake in the programme. If they are not currently posting for whatever reasons, then they won't see your post calling for them! It will be up to you to contact th...
I'm confused - is it the age of the caree or the carer that you are focussing on? Anyone in their hundreds is unlikely to be looked after by a young adult, unless the YA is their great-grandchild!!!!! YAs are mostly looking after their middle-aged parents (as I say, mostly with MH issues, or, at lea...
Telling can hit a 'stubborn-wall' too! My friend with her father living with her says her dad can get incredibly stubborn sometimes and just WILL NOT DO what he needs to do! He can be extremely 'wilful' (Conversely, he likes things done for him when he wants them done - she had her son staying with ...
If you are specifically looking for young carers, including 'young adult' carers, you will find a few in the files here - do please browse through the New to Forum section, as that is where most of such posts are. I can think off hand of a good three of four members (not posting currently) who are b...
I'm missing something here - if your mum is self-funding, (even if you feel she shouldn't be), that means that the ONLY reason I can see for HER not being in charge of who comes and goes in her house is whether she is deemed to have legal capacity. If you say she does, but not for finance, then why ...