My son has been selected to represent the Ulster basketball team at the Special Olympics Ireland Games in Dublin next June. We’re very proud of him and the other members from his club who were selected. The social worker who suggested my son join the local Special Olympics Basketball club did us a b...
Hi Mrs A, It would be difficult to find another job for M. Interestingly, his boss and his wife, who live a few doors down from us - the shop is next door to us - have M most Thursday evenings for dinner and occasionally the boss will take M to the cinema. That arrangement would probably come to an ...
Firstly, could one of the powers that be here move this thread to the Autism/Asperger Syndrome forum? Secondly, welcome to the forum, Danielle. I am sorry to read that you have not had any support from mental health services in your area. Has your fiancé had any support with education or employment?...
Hi Colin and Bowling Bun, Sorry for not replying sooner. There is probably some truth in what you suggest, Colin. M is thorough in his work, but the other workers and his employer are more interested in getting the work done speedily. When he tries to work faster, he becomes flustered and then he ca...
The support worker was able to meet with the employer's wife, who is quite involved in the business. She said that M's productivity had dropped since he first started and the support worker has told M that he needs to try and go a bit faster and not let himself get distracted. She did say to me that...
So sorry you're going through such a hard time, Janet. I do hope you can get good counselling to help you deal with the guilt complex that so often comes along with grief. As someone else said, if you hadn't called an ambulance and your husband had died, you would have felt awful, especially as you ...
Jenny, your mention of the case of the guy in the 1940s reminded me that in the mid 80s I knew a lady whose mother had died as the result of a cut finger while gardening. I developed cellulitis while on holiday a few years ago as a result of a mosquito bite. Fortunately a friend who was with us had ...
Mrs A, I think M may already have given that link or something similar to his employer, but I don't know that the employer followed up on it. M's support worker informed the employer of a course on working with autistic employees but the employer said he didn't have time to do any course. The suppor...
Melly, M's employers are not interested in his autism or learning difficulties and expect him to do a job as quickly and as well as anyone else. I don't know what their problem is with him talking to us or his support worker about his work. He is well capable of cooking to a limited degree as he som...
Hi All, I don't have time to respond to all your comments in one post, so will just take one reply at a time. BB, I don't know what M's employer meant by his 'carer' comment. Quite possibly he was joking. Maybe I should just have told M to point out that I am his mother and that it's normal to talk ...