Sarah, from everything you've said, unless your mum can be permanently sectioned, I would bite the bullet and put her into a residential home that can cope with her aggressive behaviour (which might subside once there anyway) and be done with it. She does not, from the sound of it, deserve any consi...
Remember, too, that the finances of care homes are on the following lines. They do 'deals' with the Local Authority, and set a room rate of, say £70 a day for LA-funded residents. The LA refuses to pay any more, and argues they are 'bulk buying' places, so deserve a discount. If £70 a day is actuall...
Sarah, top up fees only come into play after your mum runs down her OWN money/assets to the £23k mark where the local authority steps in IF the LA wants her to be in a 'cheaper' home than the one she might currently be in! When your mum runs out of money, the council HAVE to fund her residential car...
Sarah, one of the really really really important decisions to make about our parents, in any circumstances, is this. We have to decide, almost from the off, WHAT we are going to do in a variety of circumstances. As I mentioned above - the choice is grim: Either we risk having to put our own lives TO...
Hmm, the granny annexe option really only works when you don't have behaviour like your mum's! But of course there was no reason to think she would get this bad. If she does have dementia, if your sibling can 'tough it out' at some point the disease will cause such confusion etc that she will lose m...
Pharmaceutical pricing is a hideously dodgy area! It's incredibly difficult to work out a 'fair' price, ie, one that reflects the cost of R&D in the first place, then the cost of getting FDA etc approval (all the clinical trials), and then finally the usually (pretty minimal!) cost of production, ma...
Anyone taking on family caring needs to be soundly advised on a risk-benefit basis of what they are letting themselves in for economically, and yes, emotionally/psychologically too, from whichever choice they make. Even something as simple as warning them to insist that, say, a council tenancy is mo...
The second half seemed to focus on the schemes to avoid 'deprivation of assets' none of which, as we well know, actually work to protect home-owners. There certainly seem to be some 'dodgy' schemes around, with, as to be expected, the salesmen being a bit 'vague' shall we say about just what they co...
Rosemary, I agree - most of us can't (daren't!) think about US getting dementia....
I'm just watching my recording now - half way through. It's a laudable attempt, but I'm afraid too 'sloppy' to be a great help to anyone at all trying to understand the situation. First off, not really stating that dementia per se is regarded as simply needing social care, so doesn't go anywhere nea...