An elderly lady in our village had to go into care. With no family, the LA needed to sell her property to pay her fees. They came in to clear the place (in the process destroying some historical village photos which we would have loved to have had, as we're hoping to put together a village history) ...
Hi Chris ... Accounts are also "food and drink" to my husband (as a - now retired - divisional financial director of a FTSE100 company)! He is well aware of how many of these companies set themselves up to maximise income for the owners and is well-versed in how to obtain company accounts. Unfortuna...
Mum's annual care home fees are a good £10,000 over and above that average - and I'm sure that, as a self-funder, she's paying a hefty premium to subsidise LA-funded residents. Last spring's annual increase was just under 9% (making a total 25% increase in the four years she's been there) - dreading...
WILLS If you care for a parent and they want to change their will, then make sure it's done by a solicitor who can testify that they were "compos mentes" at the time. If other family members challenge this, then it could cost a five-figure sum if you go to court. (I have two friends who have both b...
I'm afraid that I agree with Jenny. If your mother has dementia and you've already been caring for her for several years, then it could not be discounted that she may have needed residential care at some time in the future. With that in mind, I'm not surprised that the LA are investigating possible ...
This is from AgeUK's factsheet on NHS Continuing Healthcare: 8 Refunds of care charges if the NHS should have paid You may be entitled to a refund to cover care costs you have incurred when a CCG eligibility decision is:  unjustifiably delayed or  revised following reconsideration using the CCG lo...
Would definitely recommend having a landline telephone - Google "easy to use telephones" and you will find loads with large buttons.

We got my mother a very simple mobile phone many years ago (long before she went into residential care) - she never managed to get to grips with it and never used it!
I think the saddest one (usually found on infant death certificates) is "failure to thrive".

(i'm also a genealogist, but just an unpaid amateur!)
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

My mother (in residential care) has a postal vote, but we have it set up so that the forms are sent to our own address - as things have a habit of going "astray"!
Just to point out that if you want to compare "live in" costs with residential care, then you also need to take account of property maintenance/insurance, council tax, utilities, food and general living expenses on top of the cost of the carer!