I haven't visited either parent for about ten days now. One is in a home, the other in hospital awaiting surgery. I don't feel as guilty as i probably should do. I know they are both cared for and don't want to visit them. I feel so much better for not seeing them. I wonder If they both feel so muc...
I may be wrong on this point, but I don't think any adult is responsible for another adult legally. I think the local authority is though.
David_0406 wrote:Bed
Sheet
Are you dependent on your mother financially? I ask because if not (and even if you are) you do have a choice. If you make it plain that you won't do the caring anymore what would happen? My mother has had to go into a home because I can't give her the care she needs without sacrificing my business ...
I think we are all selfish and really, is being 'selfish' in the terms that society tends to judge people, such a bad thing? Think of the safety briefing on airline flights. You put your own oxygen mask on first before helping others. I guess that religion and faith has an impact too. You have to as...
I am so glad i chose not to have children. This has reinforced it. At least i won't do this to someone else.
Morality really IS a minefield. I am changing my views every day. I know it's a cliche but the 'walk a mile in someone else's shoes' saying is a truism when circumstances change in life.

And yes, you do reap what you sow.
Hmm, sorry to be slightly sceptical, but you've been taking care of your mum for years, so in a way one could argue she's now had her 'fair share back' of receiving care having given it out - as you say she has - for years herself?? I know this sounds 'tough' but in a way, the old St Francis of Asi...
I haven't visited either parent for about ten days now. One is in a home, the other in hospital awaiting surgery. I don't feel as guilty as i probably should do. I know they are both cared for and don't want to visit them. I feel so much better for not seeing them.
I am sorry if this appears to be controversial, but it is a subject that seems to rear its head a lot. Why should we be responsible for our parents? None of us asked to be born. I hate the burden of guilt. My parents have been responsible for many of the problems I have in life but to balance this t...