The Care home market

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... ome-market

So my mum is paying 43% more as a self funder than someone being funded. Same room, same care ....

This makes me so mad. My mum never had anything when we were small and we lived on jumble sale clothes despite her and Dad working so hard and not smoking and drinking.

I can't actually type any more about this as I can feel my blood boiling.
Not fair at all. My mum was self funded. In the Nurses Station, I noticed a sign that said self funders should have A CLEAN TOWEL EVERY DAY! Big deal.
We are in a similar situation in that Mum is self funding BUT that gave us the ability to choose the Home, to feel we could move her again if needed, to feel that we can raise concerns, that we are the 'customer'.
I also remember years ago when looking for a Home for FIL who was only on state pension in a council house and therefore would be council funded, that the Home run by the local council was dire, no stimulation or activities, plain , understaffed.

At least a Home that has self funders has to provide a service of sufficient level that self funders want to chose that one over another. If a Home only has council funding it is not earning enough to provide even a basic service

Of course, there is the argument that councils should pay full rate, that would increas everyone's taxes.

Is it that different to those of us without children paying for schools through our taxes, or those of us who work funding the jobless?

What gets my goat is those who are deliberately not making any saving towards old age and care. It's blatantly obvious that with the numbers living longer there isn't ever going to be enough to fund care for all . Me? I have my escape route planned, I'm just praying its legal in Uk by the time I get there
Yes, my blood has also been boiling for a long time!

Mum has worked full-time since I virtually started primary school and she and Dad have saved hard, enjoyed a reasonable quality of life (no holidays abroad or flashy cars!) and bought their own house.

Mum is now paying well over the odds (compared to LA-funded residents) at her care home. Since she went there at the end of 2013 fees have increased by over 25% (with the last increase this spring at 8%).

To a certain extent, we (and mum) are resigned to this - but what really makes us annoyed is that there is no transparency to these increases (we have tried querying them, but only get "platitudes" in response). There is also no way of seeing detailed accounts for the parent company to see exactly the income/profit ratio.

We are planning to write to our local MP to suggest that these care home companies (particularly those taking public money for LA-funded residents) should publish full and transparent accounts which are available to all.
Pennie wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:45 am
Yes, my blood has also been boiling for a long time!

Mum has worked full-time since I virtually started primary school and she and Dad have saved hard, enjoyed a reasonable quality of life (no holidays abroad or flashy cars!) and bought their own house.

Mum is now paying well over the odds (compared to LA-funded residents) at her care home. Since she went there at the end of 2013 fees have increased by over 25% (with the last increase this spring at 8%).

To a certain extent, we (and mum) are resigned to this - but what really makes us annoyed is that there is no transparency to these increases (we have tried querying them, but only get "platitudes" in response). There is also no way of seeing detailed accounts for the parent company to see exactly the income/profit ratio.

We are planning to write to our local MP to suggest that these care home companies (particularly those taking public money for LA-funded residents) should publish full and transparent accounts which are available to all.
That's a good idea in your last sentence Pennie.
MrsAverage wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:06 pm
We are in a similar situation in that Mum is self funding BUT that gave us the ability to choose the Home, to feel we could move her again if needed, to feel that we can raise concerns, that we are the 'customer'.
I also remember years ago when looking for a Home for FIL who was only on state pension in a council house and therefore would be council funded, that the Home run by the local council was dire, no stimulation or activities, plain , understaffed.

At least a Home that has self funders has to provide a service of sufficient level that self funders want to chose that one over another. If a Home only has council funding it is not earning enough to provide even a basic service

Of course, there is the argument that councils should pay full rate, that would increas everyone's taxes.

Is it that different to those of us without children paying for schools through our taxes, or those of us who work funding the jobless?

What gets my goat is those who are deliberately not making any saving towards old age and care. It's blatantly obvious that with the numbers living longer there isn't ever going to be enough to fund care for all . Me? I have my escape route planned, I'm just praying its legal in Uk by the time I get there
Not always the case Mrs Average. My Mum has just left a care home which she is paying a lot of money for and they have not kept any of their promises about outings, activities, using thengardens etc. Before she went in there she had a weeks respite break in a LA home and the decor, staffing and food were all much better. Yes she had to pay but it was Council run.