Poor quality health care - Learning disability campaign

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
[quote]Hi Maryann]
25 years ago I worked on a geriatric ward and if anyone came in suffering from confusion the first thing the ward sister did was to send off a water sample for testing. It was suprising how many people had a 'silent' infection, not bad enough to cause major physical symptoms but enough to knock people off it mentaly, we found that a course of antibiotics and lots of cups of tea, good food and gossip often cured or at least lessened the confused state. For people with a poor appetite the consultant would prescribe a small glass of good sherry to be taken half an hour before meals ( gentlemen got a bottle of stout ) and it stimulated both the appetite and the level of conversation Image We had an old fashioned matron, not only did she do 'Matron's Round' at least once a week she was in the habit of just dropping in on any ward at any time and checking that everything was just as it ought to be.
Hello Sheila
I have to agree with Ken and Charles, it does seem strange that when your sister's phychiatrist (sp!) complained the files were taken for auditing. Do you have a scanner or access to a copier because it might be worthwhile in future to keep your own copy, might not help prove anything now of course.
Take care
love Kaydee xx
Hi Kaydee no I don’t have a scanner. things happen so fast the nurse was in and out within 10 minutes I didn’t think anything at the time just later on in the morning I thought how strange she mentioned pat’s catheter … Maybe it would be wise to get a scanner and keep my own records. Thank you Kaydee Sheila x
Hello Sheila

I also have Mums nurses notes at home and always keep a copy of it. I also write in it aswell, so there would be no way that it could be rewritten. So, maybe be an idea to jot down some things in there by date as to how Pat's progress is, that way they couldn't make any changes.

Take care
M x