Possibly , the longest running issue facing both the Government and our supporting organisations ... only 1 in 12 carers are known ... on present figures , some 5.5 MILLION of our fellow carers hidden in plain sight ?

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/ev ... -1-8840143

Event reaches out to Hartlepool’s hidden army of carers.

Just a snippet from the whole article ... how to go about that task :

Hartlepool Carers is holding an information event titled Caring Together bringing together a host of organisations all under one roof.

According to a census for the town there are some 10,000 people in the town who care for a family member or loved on.

Christine Fewster, Hartlepool Carers operations manager, said: “There are approximately 850 carers registered with us and about 450 with 1 Hart 1 Mind 1 Future which I am also part of.

“We are aware of census figures which says there are 10,000 carers in Hartlepool.

“We really need to find out where they are and how we can help them.”

The information day takes place on Wednesday, November 8, at the Centre for Independent Living, in Burbank Street, between 9.30am and 1pm.

Christine added: “We have got 30 stall holders coming along from everything from education and social care to health and the voluntary and community sector.

“They are all relevant for carers so they can come along get more information and find out what their rights are.

“People don’t need to come along for the whole session, they can just drop in anytime.”

Information will also be available for all age ranges and there is no need to book.

Light refreshments will be provided and there will be free parking.

Hartlepool Carers held a similar informal information event at their base in Lowthian Road in June that was well attended by a variety of professionals.

Organisations included Citizens Advice Hartlepool, Cleveland Fire Brigade, Trading Standards, West View Resource Centre, and Salaam Centre.

Sounds fine ... doesn't it ... on first reading ?

Starting from scratch , and using my own manor as ground zero , Worksop ... 30,000 odd inmates , I would first be looking at a time span ...
okay , I'll use a day as per attempt made in Hartlepool.

Carers to me or ... me to the carers ?

The latter ... as would almost any other carer ????

Week in advance , leaflets / posters in local gp surgeries / hospital and food bank ... perhaps local supermarkets and post office ... I'm around on day X , contact me if unable to make it and need some form of assistance.

Not really on ... I can't afford to shell out for protection ... just assume ?

Young carers ? Not qualified ... personal view would disqualify me anyway.

Day X ... move meself between venues in order to meet with as many that turn up.

Can't make it ? I'll try to make contact directly afterwards ... just let me know when YOU have a few minutes to spare and I'll drop by.

Vital if ever trying to reach lone carers ... I was contacted by a " Dissident " from the old PRT in that way almost 20 years ago ... and , afterwards , I knew I WAS a carer , had an inclination beforehand but no confirmation !!!

Clone meself ... 100 of me ( The mind boggles ) ... repeat in neighbouring manors.

In summary , AS carers , which do you see as being more successful ?

Without pre judging any answers , it does question the tradtional way outsiders seem to view carers , and their caring duties taking priority over almost everything ?

Even our own Carers UK have tried the same as those in Hartlepool ... their roadshows.

Sound their bugle and ... surprised at the numbers that turn up ... given the likely number of carers on that manor ?

Is there a more obvious way ... given the daily routine of most carers ... ???

The traditional ways are NOT working ... time to tackle the same problems with a new way ... and one starts with taking an alternative view to what has consistantly failed before ... after all , banging one's head against a brick wall hurts ... why not try climbing it ?

Even a lab rat will work that one out for himself ... eventually ?

My adopted " Handle " says it all.

################################################################################################

Any moral in this ?

To KNOW how CarerLand works , being a carer , past or present , often helps.

To THINK how CarerLand works , why not ask a carer first ?

A simple fact lost on most outsiders ... whatever their intentions !!!!