Carers In Ireland

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Not a fair comparison but , there seems to be much more carer influence in political decision making through ALL political parties as the following link indicates :

http://familycarers.ie/get-involved/joi ... mmitments/

Could the same ever happenen over 'ere ? Yes is the straight answer. Why we appear to be lagging behind in this relationship will never be known. Ordinary carers can only go on the information on all discussions / meetings / even negotiations if only it was made readily available ... unless one wants to go through the Freedom of Information Act route .... even then , what would be available / disclosed ?

After all , if there is nothing hide , there's nothing to fear ... ?
I would add that , in the league table of EEC countries least affected by the economic downturn in 2008 , Ireland finished well below the UK , and just avoided relegation by having a better goal difference.

In Ireland , the sabre was applied to the public sector , with many facing pay cuts and less services ... whereas , and thankfully , only a rapier was used over 'ere , with many facing pay freezes , and years of modest rises. However, we appear to be matching the Irish in providing less services by simply withdrawing them , or pricing them out of the reach of many of us.
For those not knowing , there is an All Party Carers Group ( APCG ) in the House.

A summary of it's activities can be found elsewhere on this site.

When posting on the influence of carers within the Irish political system , I was struck by a statement made by the APCG in their Activites 2010 -2015 available in pdf. format elsewhere on the site.
The prominence of carers in all of the political party manifestos shows how far they have risen up the agenda. The APPG will, I hope, continue to have an active part in ensuring that the needs of carers are understood and championed by Parliamentarians across both Houses.
Contrast this statement in the same context when comparing the Irish way with ours. Maybe the influence of the religious lobby has something to do with the difference ? That's purely an observation , I am not going down that route ... it has no place on this Forum.

In the UK , we are , indeed , fortune enough for at least 1 in 9 of the population to have our concerns discussed in the House for a few hours on one day , attended by just how many members ... ? That number is probably available inside Hansards ... somewhere. Request sent to Hansards via their web site. Place your bet now !

Judging from the Hansard report published under another thread , a lot of the time allocated was used to explain just what a carer does ?

Good start me thinks ???? Why the need for an explanation ? Get on with discussing the issues. Then tell US what YOU are going to do about it. Your paid to represent your constituents including us. Oh dear , time ran out even before they go that far. Better luck next year ? Don't hold your breathe !

Latest political party web sites ... simply search for CARERS in any of them.

A fair deduction of published material ?

I leave that to any reader to judge for themselves.
Reply from Hansards as to number of mps attending the Carers Day Debate :
I am afraid that no record is kept of the number of MPs who participate in any debate in the House of Commons.

As there was no division for this particular debate I also could not provide even a rough idea of the number of MPs participated.

All I can recommend is reviewing the debate on Parliament TV, and attempting to make a rough guess yourself about the levels of attendance.

I apologise that I cannot answer your question more directly. I hope the information I have provided proves useful.

Sincerely,
Alex
Oh well , let's see. 1 in 9 same ratio as carers to population... say 630 mps ... gives me 630 divide by 9 ... 70 !

No , not a game of higher or lower. This is a little on the serious side when considering the plight of a minimum of 6 million was being discussed.

A little decorum .... please !
Given that our own general election will shortly be with us , time to resurrect this comparison.

What our neighbors in Ireland manged to achieve from their political parties over a year ago in advance of their general election.

Comparison ? UK 9th. / Ireland 55th. by GDP definition ... how much wealth in a year :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _GDP_(PPP)

Fine Gael
• Implement in full the National Carers’ Strategy
• Increase Carer’s Allowance and Carer’s Benefit by €20 per week by 2021
• Standardise the delivery of home care services
• Involve family carers in care planning together with more accessible training and respite
• Increase home help provision by 2.2 million hours
• Increase the number of Home Care Packages
• Develop new technologies and solutions to help people remain independent in their home
• Increase funding to the Housing Adaptation Scheme to €66m by 2021.

Labour
• Protect HSE provided community care services as a free-of-charge service
• Ensure a 50 percent increase in the number of home-help hours by 2021
• Ensure supports for carers increase at least in line with inflation
• Continue to implement the National Carers’ Strategy
• Support those recovering from illness to return to their own homes
• Move towards a system of individualised budgeting for care services.
• Roll-out a single assessment tool for older people including a detailed Carers Needs Assessment.

Sinn Fein
• Increase home help hours, respite hours and provide additional nursing home beds.
• Increase investment in disability services, mental health, personal assistant hours and respite services.
• Automatic full Medical Card to every child qualifying for Domiciliary Care Allowance and a secure Medical Card for people with disabilities.
• Support those returning to care for elderly relatives by changing the Habitual Residence Condition.
• Increase funding for the Housing Adaption Grant Scheme by an additional €47.25 million – an increase of 50%.
• Increase Disability Allowance by €20 per week.
• Increase Fuel Allowance by 3 weeks.
• Establish a Social Welfare Adequacy Commission to recommend appropriate social welfare levels on an annual basis.

People Before Profit Alliance
• Reverse cuts to the Household Benefits Package
• Full restoration of a universal right to a Medical Card for those over 70.
• Increase home help hours and home care packages.
• Develop primary care centres and encourage greater use of care in the community.
• Restore the bereavement grand of €850
• Give people with disabilities the right to choose the services which best meet their needs and ensure their right to live as an autonomous adult.
• Introduce workable schemes to replace the mobility and transport grants
• Abolish prescription charges
• Increase funding for Mental Health and Disability Services
• Implement ‘Vision for Change’ staffing recommendations.
• Introduce a model of preventative medicine which will pay for itself in the longer term.
• End cuts to health service funding and jobs and reopen closed wards. Reach targets of 15,000 beds as specified by the 2001 Health Strategy.

Social Democrats
• Re-orientate the health service by switching activity away from acute hospitals into the community
• Recognise the importance of informal carers and the billions they save the state each year by removing the habitual residency condition for those with previous PRSI contributions
• Reform and extend the Fair Deal scheme to cover home-care packages
• Assess applications for the over 70s Medical Card on the net income of the applicant
• Allow older people in areas with poor transport to exchange their free travel pass for “travel vouchers”, in the same manner as the UK’s Rural Transport Voucher scheme
• Commit to delivering all aspects of the 2006 ‘Vision for Change’ strategy.

Renua Ireland
• Greater services to patients via GPs and primary care facilities.
• Community centres and primary care centres used more intensively along with community care facilities and home care packages to keep senior citizens out of general hospitals.
• Expansion of local access to multi-disciplinary primary care services and movement of patients to social care facilities and home care packages when they have long-term conditions.
• Provide home care package funding for carers who help the elderly to remain in their homes.
• HIQA to ensure that home care providers meet the highest standards.
• A new system of property tax which will benefit community based care for the elderly
• Rollout of intelligent devices and wearable technology to all elder citizens

Impressive don't you think .... both Irish carer organisations merged in 2015 , the first having been formed 25 years ago .... 15 years behind Carers UK.

Merged ... an interesting word don't you think ... best of both ( 10% ) , jettison the rest ( 90% ) ?

Our very own Carers Radio Internet station ... give poor old Tom a rest ... been sitting around for four months or so , gathering dust.

Put me down for a hour slot each night ... Live from the Gulag ... with live guests completely unknown to any carer supporting organisation before now.

Just need to go around 10 yards into the street , with a board , and hey presto , 5 / 10 a day now identified .... more if I park myself outside a local gp's surgery , even more outside a local foodbank.

200 more like me and we could almost increase the number of known carers by a third just by asking passers by ... so very simple when you think of it ?

Did our own Voice do something similiar on their Roadshow travels ? Perfect opportunity !

Now , just what will appear in our political party manifestos for carers , and , not forgetting our carees ?

I will accept ZILCH as a legitimate answer on this one.

Our own Lord Kitch Recruitment Poster lays out in plain English what needs to be addressed in order for survival in CarerLand ... living comes later.

Already sent out earlier this year to all Parties and many mps ... should be still fresh for inclusion.

If not on the same scale , why not ?

What is the problem ?

Perhaps a telephone call to Dublin ?

6 million+ carers would be pleased , not forgetting , of course the same number of our carees.