Please sign for change

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
I need 5 people signing to get this live and up and running...Please sign for change.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... FDIQVpbHuv
My petition:

Change the rules on Direct Payments in ENGLAND.

In England, it is not possible to get a Direct payment and to pay a person living with a disabled person who is caring for that person. L.A.'s in England discriminate and allow 'the chosen few' to actually get paid in England from a Direct Payment.

Not being allowed to get a proper wage creates a life of poverty to carers and if it's deemed by L.A.'s or Health that the person they care for needs paid carers and a direct payment is offered then whether or not they live in the same household it shouldn't matter. I think carers caring in the same household have the right to apply for the job regardless of if they live in the same household. They can't do this in England presently.But the rules are different in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.I think this opens up a 'Human Right's Issue' as well as a Discrimination Issue for carers in England.
charm_1965 wrote: They can't do this in England presently.But the rules are different in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.I think this opens up a 'Human Right's Issue' as well as a Discrimination Issue for carers in England.
Whilst you are right in that there is no automatic rights to DPs for those living in the same household, it can actually still happen.

Government guidance states that the local authority may at its discretion agree to the employment of a family member, or partner living in the same household as the direct payment recipient “in exceptional circumstances”. (Family members living elsewhere are permitted to be employed through direct payments)

If the person I am looking after gets a direct payment can they use this to employ a family member?

If the person you are looking after gets a direct payment to purchase a care worker they might want to employ someone they already know to provide the care, such as a family member. However, there are rules around employing family members which vary depending on whether the person you are looking after lives in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

In England the rules are that:
•The person you are looking after cannot normally use the direct payment to pay a family member they live with to provide them with care. However, if the local council agree that this is the most effective way of meeting their needs then it is sometimes possible. For example, it might be necessary if there are religious reasons or communication reasons (other reasons may also count as necessary).
•The person you are looking after can use the direct payment to pay a family member who does not live with them to provide them with care (as long as the local council agree that this family member will meet their needs).
•The person you are looking after can use the direct payment to pay a family member (regardless as to whether or not they live with them) to provide the management and administration of the direct payments, where the local council think that this is necessary.

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... ments#sec6

x x
However, if the local council agree that this is the most effective way of meeting their needs then it is sometimes possible. For example, it might be necessary if there are religious reasons or communication reasons (other reasons may also count as necessary).
•The person you are looking after can use the direct payment to pay a family member who does not live with them to provide them with care (as long as the local council agree that this family member will meet their needs).
•The person you are looking after can use the direct payment to pay a family member (regardless as to whether or not they live with them) to provide the management and administration of the direct payments, where the local council think that this is necessary.

Stretch that a little further and , hey presto , carers will be paid by their carees.

In which event , back to 2009 , and possibly in June 2017 , Carers Allowance to disappear into the ether ?

Was that NOT muted during one of the 2009 events by someone fairly high up in the Government .... without checking the CarerWatch archives .... ?

Perhaps handed on to the present Government ?

" 'Ere squire , you may need this sometime in the future. We'll be on our 'olidays for the next ... 30 years after our performance. "

Watch this space ...
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
However, if the local council agree that this is the most effective way of meeting their needs then it is sometimes possible. For example, it might be necessary if there are religious reasons or communication reasons (other reasons may also count as necessary).

Stretch that a little further and , hey presto , carers will be paid by their carees.

In which event , back to 2009 , and possibly in June 2017 , Carers Allowance to disappear into the ether ?

Was that NOT muted during one of the 2009 events by someone fairly high up in the Government .... without checking the CarerWatch archives .... ?

Perhaps handed on to the present Government ?

" 'Ere squire , you may need this sometime in the future. We'll be on our 'olidays for the next ... 30 years after our performance. "

Watch this space ...
Let's put it this way Chris...It's the only way to get some fairness...The big G IS TO BLAME...and it ain't the one your thinking lol...Groul...No not for me thanks..I'm on hungry/hunger strike...Well I call it that for convenience these days. I like 'porridge' anyhow :)))
rosemary wrote:
charm_1965 wrote: They can't do this in England presently.But the rules are different in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.I think this opens up a 'Human Right's Issue' as well as a Discrimination Issue for carers in England.
Whilst you are right in that there is no automatic rights to DPs for those living in the same household, it can actually still happen.

Government guidance states that the local authority may at its discretion agree to the employment of a family member, or partner living in the same household as the direct payment recipient “in exceptional circumstances”. (Family members living elsewhere are permitted to be employed through direct payments)

If the person I am looking after gets a direct payment can they use this to employ a family member?

If the person you are looking after gets a direct payment to purchase a care worker they might want to employ someone they already know to provide the care, such as a family member. However, there are rules around employing family members which vary depending on whether the person you are looking after lives in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

In England the rules are that:
•The person you are looking after cannot normally use the direct payment to pay a family member they live with to provide them with care. However, if the local council agree that this is the most effective way of meeting their needs then it is sometimes possible. For example, it might be necessary if there are religious reasons or communication reasons (other reasons may also count as necessary).

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... ments#sec6

x x
But see Rosemary...Yes, that's the case BUT the third biggest Council in Europe send out flyers saying CAN NOT BE PAID ...I received one and promptly complained and asked them to 'adjust it'.. :shock:
Hunger strike ?

For too many of our fellow carers , the choice of whether to eat or heat is a daily nightmare , especially if it's snowing ( For Aussie readers ... look that word up on Wikipedia ) outside !

And no , it's not a Colombian airliner jettesoning it's cargo overboard !

In our Sad New World where money rules everything and almost everybody , the cargo would have all the available parachutes !
Charm, this is an area that interests me greatly, mainly as I have already been through this in 2004/2006 and was actually paid DPs to care for my mother whilst I/we was living with her. I never applied for it, queried it, but was asked by our social worker to consider it. In turn Head of Social services then visited us. Guilt/blood money came to mind at the time, but that's a story for another day.

Having read the CUK link above, it is not as cut and dried in the other nations either. Do you have any further links or docs to refer me to that gives different information.

Thanks in advance
x x
A quick read through related guidance on DPs on caree supporting sites confirm virtually no different to those here on the Voice ... same " Exceptions " bit relating to family members and LA discretion.

Interesting ... almost a post code lottery if left to an LAs discretion , and interpreted differently.

What would happen if a carer and caree moved from one LA ( DPs ... no problem ) to another ( DPs ... can't do that ) ?

Law needs to be clearer , and not only on this Issue in the social care sector.

I'll leave the answer to that question to other posters.
There's a method to the madness...because it's like this while I take the mal admin of leaflet/fact sheet to the ombudsman and beyond. It would be helpful to have a Government response around the same time over 'the issue'...over the same matter but a different thing;) It's called 'double check mate and furthermore it will help many others. I can get it into Court then..change in Law over postcode lottery and other stuff;)..You catch my drift:)
They highlighted it....

Attachments