Nottinghamshire County council closing respite

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
Hi, http://www.nottinghampost.com/Campaigne ... story.html
this is all about KWAG. the kingsbridge Way action group, fighting closure of our much needed respite care unit for adluts with learning difficulties. the council need to save money so they are picking on people they thought would just accept it.
The council is telling us to transfer our adults children to other homes ( there are two , miles away from their day center, and miles away from their local enviroment) closing one home will have an inpact on all servive users because there will not be eough room for all of them. so nottinghamshire county council are going to reassess all the adults ...to give them LESS care.
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/n ... e-way-open
councilors, GPs and MP Anna Soubry are also helping us fight to keep the much loved, much used unit open
Our adult children , many with life threatening conditions ( my son is 23 and is in heart failure) ... many on the austistic spectrum can not cope with being moved from one unit to another. they can not cope with transition. Our live will be made even worse! we see years a head of more stress and anxiety.
can you help KWAG, to let the UK know what NCC is doing. I have been in the local press and radion and TV, but we want to SHOUT even louder.
regards kingsbridgeway@outlook.com
There is possibly a precedent you need to look at, called the Coughlan Case. Google will find it for you. If you have a look at the judgement, part of it you can ignore, about Continuing Healthcare. However the second part is about whether the Council concerned could lawfully close a home. Only you can decide whether it is relevant - and then look at whether your council is trying any of the same things.
Have signed your petition, good luck. Totally understand, there are very few good respite centres left.

Melly1
Yep.Done that.
Best of luck!
The Coughlan case may actually be entirely relevant: all social care cases should go through the process of determining whether Continuing Health Care is appropriate - something that social workers often forget to do, especially with people with learning disabilities. Either way, every person using the service has a right to advocacy. Worth the carers asking for advocacy too!
charles47 wrote:The Coughlan case may actually be entirely relevant: all social care cases should go through the process of determining whether Continuing Health Care is appropriate - something that social workers often forget to do, especially with people with learning disabilities. Either way, every person using the service has a right to advocacy. Worth the carers asking for advocacy too!
Here's a link to an outline of it: http://www.caretobedifferent.co.uk/payi ... hlan-case/
In Scotland they have changed the rules and you can only get Continuing Care if you are in a hospital. I thoght the whole point of it was to enable severely disabled people with health needs to be able to live in the community? If Rob gets a trachy he will need 24/7 waking care but the social worker said that they do not offer that to anyone in our area. Well tough they will have to get the finger out and cough up as hubby and I can no way do trachy care all day and then be awake all night. He is talking about Rob going into a home with say 4 other people and a joint care package being put in or us moving to a bigger house so that there is somewhere for care workers to sleep but we want them to stay awake in case he needs help. However the SW says a sleepover is cheaper. Its all boiling down to what they will be willing to pay for not what Rob needs! Even if Rob doesn't get a trachy when he gets his heart operation in a few weeks we have been told he will need one within 2 years so the SW dept can't say we haven't given them notice that his needs are likely to increase drastically!

Eun

Eun
Eun, what's the point of sleeping in care workers?! Whatever next. I had a little girl in my class who had complex health care needs, she was peg fed, had a permanent trachy, needed oxygen available, had epilepsy etc she was funded 1:1 care 24/7 the first year I had her, the second year she was funded 24/7 for 2:1 ... So as you say they'd better pull their finger out and devise a care package around Rob's needs and not around what they’d prefer to pay. Good luck.

Melly1
the unit closed,
he now takes along journey in subsidised taxi... Wynhill at Bingham notts.
Another tombstone to be erected in memory of past services. Allied with the half pithead wheels in this part of Nottinghamshire , there won't be space left for anything else.

Someone may ban the future as , for many , the prospect is too grim to contemplate ?