MORE ABOUT CARER'S ALLOWANCE AND THE STATE PENSION

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
Hi there,

We have just submitted the following new e-petition about carer’s allowance and state pension:

‘We regard as unfair and unacceptable the current position whereby carers become ineligible for carer’s allowance, once they are in receipt of state pension. It is not as if caring responsibilities cease as a result of payment of state pension.

We wish to see this rule changed by the government, so that older carers can receive both carer’s allowance and state pension.’

Dr David Mills Daniel and Mrs Jennifer A. Daniel

This e-petition has been set to run for six months.

Please would you sign this petition, if it is accepted and as soon as it appears on the H.M. Government e-petition website, at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions.

We will post the exact address, as soon as the petition is available for signature.

Please would you also write to your MP about this issue. We wrote to ours (we have yet to receive a response!) as follows:

‘On the question of carers/support for carers, we regard as inequitable and unacceptable the current position whereby carers become ineligible for carer’s allowance, once they are in receipt of state pension.

We would like to know if you agree with us that this rule should be changed, so that older carers can receive both carer’s allowance and state pension? It is not as if caring responsibilities cease as a result of the payment of state pension!’

Thanks and best wishes,

David and Jenny
Below is the link to our petition about carer's allowance and the state pension, which I have just received from HM Government e-petitions:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41511

Please sign it, and tell as many people as possible about it.

Thanks and best wishes,

David and Jenny
Signed it, proud to be the third or fourth signature.
signed and shared on twitter

x
I have signed it and hello Mr Mills Daniels, its is Mr Mills Daniels that was head at St Davids isnt it?
Thanks for signing. And yes, Nilla, it is. And I hope all is well with you. Best wishes, David
You taught my 2 eldest Carrie-Louise and Simon Downs, Dafydd used to come to our house for tea and Simon to yours, I now have Sarah who is 18 and has Downs Syndrome, I hope your son with Downs Syndrome is ok I'm sorry I cant remember his name
We were delighted to receive a message of support from our MP for our petition, calling on the government to change the current rules, so that carers can receive both carer’s allowance and state pension.

Huddersfield MP, Barry Sheerman, says he is going to sign our petition, and has e-mailed us as follows:

'With respect to the question of support for carers, I too find it unacceptable that the current position makes carers ineligible for the allowance if they are receiving a state pension. This is something I believe should be changed and I will continue to lobby colleagues on this.'

Please contact your local MPs, and ask them about their views are on this subject.

Do they support changing the rules and removing this injustice which denies carer’s allowance to care’s on state pension?

Please also sign our petition, and tell as many people as you can about it.

You will find the petition at:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41511

David and Jenny
Good news david. I have merged both your threads so members can read it all

x
Hi there,

Although over 300 people have viewed the information about our petition on Carers UK Forum, it has only attracted 32 signatures.

We do hope more people will sign it.

There are powerful reasons for doing so.

As well as denying carer’s allowance to those on state pension, the current unfair and unacceptable rules also mean that people receiving carer’s allowance cannot benefit from State Pension Deferral.

According to current state pension rules (see Department for Work and Pensions, State Pension Deferral – your guide (April 2012)), it is possible to: “get more State Pension by putting off your claim for a time. This means delaying when you start to get your State Pension, or choosing to stop claiming your Sate Pension for a time ... The amount of extra money you get depends on how long you put off claiming your State Pension. You may choose one of these two options: taking a higher weekly State Pension for life, or taking a one-off, taxable lump-sum payment if you put off claiming your State Pension for at least 12 months, and then getting your normal State Pension for life” (page 6).

However, this option is not available to those on carer’s allowance: “In general, all the weeks you put off claiming your State Pension will count towards your extra State Pension or a lump-sum payment. But there are exceptions. You will not build up extra State Pension or a lump sum during: 1 Any days on which you have received any of the following benefits ... Carer’s Allowance [and a range of other benefits]” (pages 16-17).

You will find State Pension Deferral – your guide at:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 200597.pdf

“For unto everyone that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not, even that which he hath shall be taken away” (Matthew 25: 29).
How very true in this context!
So please sign our petition; tell others about it; and write to you MP.

Best wishes,

David and Jenny