Carers Pay to travel in London

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
125 posts
Now seems to be centralised through Transport of London and the Freedom Pass scheme rather than the old system of individual London Borough Councils.

I just checked 2 London BCs and both directed me to the Freedom Pass site.

Would make sense if it was anything like the Authorities boardering North Nottinghamshire where we
have 4 , each with a slightly different concession scheme , and still no one bus ticket covering all
areas.

For me . to travel to Pontefract some 25 odd miles north , I need 2 buses , and 2 different tickets.

Someone travelling from Chesterfield to Pontefact would need 3 buses and 3 tickets.

Imagine that situation if travelling across London !

Just checked Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire / Lincolnshire on travel concessions ... buses ... only disabled
( Subject to eligibilty criteria ) and retired persons in receipt of the State Pension ... nothing for carers.

I excluded young persons from the search.

Certainly one for Carers UK / Carers Trust to ponder.
Just posted the following under a seperate thread in the News section.

Seemed logical to also post in this thread.
Anyone travelling by train ?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/46512.aspx

A list of several LAs who offer concessions.

Is your LA listed ?

If so , worth exploring to see if you can save some money.
Hi. I had the following response from freedom pass:

"Thank you for your email. In response to your query, unfortunately the Freedom Pass only entitles the pass holder to free travel, your carer would not be entitled to a discount.
I would recommend contacting your local borough to enquire if they have a scheme available for carers."

Have contacted my local borough so will see what they write. Having previously spoken to the council I'm certain that our area doesn't offer any companion permit to those who can't travel independently. They told me that it's a transport for London decision for London boroughs to not offer this. I've written to the mayor and the reply didn't answer why.

Also contacted an organisation called Transport for all who say:
"You are right in saying that there isn’t a carers Freedom Pass in London. As a campaigning and advice charity we have campaigned for this to change for many years now but have been told it would be too expensive. We have had many queries about this and realise this is a huge problem for carers."

I honestly don't see why they can't make it a discretionary permit for carers on freedom pass for those who can't travel independently ... not every disabled person requires a carer to travel so are they over estimating the cost.

It boggles my brain as to why the carer has to pay to travel with a freedom pass user who needs a carer to use the pass.

Someone mentioned disability / equality legislation above and i would imagine there would be something in that.

I can't understand how if I had to take my disabled bro to the cinema, a concert, etc I would get a free carer ticket (to support bro) but to take him on the tube or bus I would have to pay full price.

I just don't understand the 'logic' in this.
The words CARERS and LOGIC hardly appear together in any context.

What is concerning for any reader is why no challenge to this policy from our supporting orgaisations ?

Given the potential numbers involved who would benefit , it really does surprise me.

Basic principle again.

A caree and a carer is a partnership.

No caree ? No need for a carer !

The only way to resolve this , and many other problems , is for a new ACT defining precisely what the role of a carer is in society , and extend the same rights enjoyed by almost all other citizens in the UK.

On top of the list will be remuneration and the abolition of almost all barriers to receiving CA in the first place.

There are 6 million+ carers in the UK , only 1 in 12 have been identified.

How are the other 11 in 12 ... or 5.5 MILLION surviving ?

Returning to the real world , is the Government and / or supporting institutuions under any pressure to
even consider carers as anything other than mere slaves to their system ?

Why upset the gravy train ?
Disabled Persons Railcard .... £ 20 per annum ... it appears that the person ( i.e. Carer ) travelling with the
disabled person is also able to take advantage of a reduced fare.

http://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co. ... onditions/

Condition 8 :
Only you and, where appropriate, the adult travelling with you, can use these tickets. The accompanying passenger for whom a discounted ticket is purchased must travel with the Railcard holder throughout the journey.
Is my interpretation correct ???
Once again , Ireland can show a clean pair of heels to the UK , this time on travel concessions.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/so ... ravel.html
Everyone aged 66 and over living permanently in the State is entitled to the Free Travel Scheme. Some people under 66 also qualify. If you qualify for free travel, you are issued with a card that you must carry with you when using public transport. In some cases, a Free Travel Companion Card is available which allows a person to travel with the holder (if they are unable to travel alone). Free Travel Cards are non-transferable and can only be used by the named person.
Over to our supporting organisations on this one.

Perhaps something novel for a change ?

A petition ?

But this time around , to our supporting organisations ?

That would be a first ?

Our CEO is on the forums starting on Monday .....
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Scotland has the same approach as Ireland too. Their approach makes sense
Yup, just checked the Scotland website and it says:

"If you need a companion to help you when travelling by bus your National Entitlement Card will allow them to travel for free too.
Travelling with a companion can make things much easier. Helping you on and off the bus, carrying shopping or communicating with the driver helps maintain the freedom you get with the National Entitlement Card."
Beat me to it ..... oh well , age is finally catching up with me ?

http://www.transport.gov.scot/public-tr ... disability
:-) I had a peak at wales ... they say regarding their bus pass for disabled and elderly people that:

"The pass can be used at any time of day. A disabled person may request one companion pass for when they require assistance to travel."

Shocking how England (especially London ... our capital city) are lagging behind on this!
125 posts